PDA

View Full Version : PEA or EFT, which one????

Gareth17
22nd Oct 2003, 01:12
Hi Everyone,

Now i am in a mess at the moment, i am stuck on which FTO to go for, here are my options:

1. EFT (European Flight Training)

Provides both FAA & JAA licences, with up to 1,500 hrs total time via instructorship.
Total Cost: $45,000.00 not including exam fees and materials.

2. PEA (Phoenix East Aviation)

Provides only FAA Licences, with up to 1,500 hrs total time via instructorship.
Total Cost: $29,445.00

Best Regards,

Gareth

ecj
22nd Oct 2003, 03:12
First decide whether you want to fly with a FAA or JAA licence.

If you hold a EU / UK passport, then a work permit in some shape or form is required in the US. See various other threads for your guide.

Can you be certain of employment once the initial training is complete?

If you cannot afford a proper long course, as provided by say Oxford, then consider a regular modular course.

How do you know that instructing will suit you at this early stage?

The bottom line - think about the other options available to you.

Take care junior birdman.

Send Clowns
22nd Oct 2003, 03:37
Most of ecj's advice is very good.

Sorry to go off the thread, but a modular course is a "proper, long course". It is in every way as good as an integrated course, so suggesting that those that can afford it should go integrated is not especially good advice.

ecj
23rd Oct 2003, 15:43
I would still say that having taught both types at Prestwick, the full time integrated course would be the first choice given the option.

As with any major decision in your life, it does come down to a personnel choice. Horses for courses.

Bottom line - do choose wisely.

FlyingForFun
23rd Oct 2003, 16:03
I would still say that having taught both types at Prestwick, the full time integrated course would be the first choice given the optionIt depends what you want.

If money is no object, then integrated does have advantages. But even if you can afford it, I think it's doubtful, in most cases, that the extra cost is justified. You really don't get very much, if anything, extra for your money.

For a good example of why an integrated course can be the wrong course, have a read of this thread (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106063), where the thread starter believe that he is suffering through not having as many hours at the end of his integrated course as modular students have.

Personally, I'm doing a modular course, and I wouldn't have done it any other way. I've been able to learn to fly tail-draggers and have a go at some aerobatics, and I've been able to introduce myselft to flying complex aircraft and multi-engine aircraft earlier than is "normal" just because I felt like it. I've flown in some fabulous places where I wouldn't have had a chance to fly on an integrated course, and I'm hoping to have a go at flying sea-planes next month too.

On the other hand, if you're the type of person who works much better when everything is laid out for you in advance, with a set method of getting from A to B, then maybe integrated would be better.

Whatever course you decide to go for, though, the fact is you need to pick the course type (FAA/JAAA, integrated/modular), and only then should you start trying to identify the school you will use. You seem to be going about things a little bit backards, I'm afraid.

FFF
--------------