PDA

View Full Version : ATC On The Net

Cuban
21st Oct 2003, 20:22
Is it possible to pick up LON ATC ( or other UK ATC? ) on the web
as can be done with places like ORD approach etc?

My computers interfear with reception when I'm in the office. :*

Thanks

vintage ATCO
21st Oct 2003, 23:15
Not in real time, I trust?

vintage ATCO
21st Oct 2003, 23:20
Probably because it was contrary to the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949!!

VA

PakoSpain
21st Oct 2003, 23:50
I'm afraid that Timespeak is the new voice software for IVAO and substitutes the "old" Procontroller. So what you hear on the net it's not real ATC, but virtual.

CSerpent
22nd Oct 2003, 18:43
I must frankly say that that is a VERY irresponsible post from you "ATC Wanabe" (nice spelling)

You are pointing fingers of blame at people and could end up getting anyone using the alleged server into legal implications, including yourself, for listening to such!

ATC WANABE
22nd Oct 2003, 23:10
All I can say is how sorry I am. I was quite hyped up yesterday but I know that is no excuse. I have really messed up. I have actually been told on ceratin occasions that the room had a liscence of some kind so assumed this was true. :(

Cuban
23rd Oct 2003, 01:49
Sounds like I opened a can of worms - sorry about that. :uhoh:

Could anyone send me a PM if there is a way to hear UK ATC on
the net if it can't be placed here?

Thanks.

Tonic Please
23rd Oct 2003, 01:59
Yes. I would appreciate it also if someone could PM me with such information to. :)

CSerpent
23rd Oct 2003, 03:14
Not at all Cuban - it was simply a rather eager young person there posted some names etc and could start issues up with the DTI and other sectors of the Gov't.

There is a discussion on the VATSIM-UK Forum somewhere about someone's experiences listening with a scanner at EGNV and ended up with Durham Constabulary having a go at him.
http://www.vatsim-uk.org/forum/ (somewhere in there!)

Someone may be able to answer this one however, if you hold an R/T licence does this give you permission to listen on your scanner?

vintage ATCO
23rd Oct 2003, 03:42
I posted this on 7 Oct 2002:

It is actually illegal to listen to anything to which you are not licenced or have the permission of the user to do so (Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949.) It is also a popular misconception to think you can listen to anything so long as you don't pass it on. Have a look at the Radiocommunications Agency site http://www.radio.gov.uk/ and search for information sheet RA169.

The full thread can be read here http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69140&highlight=scanner , See the comment from the Radiocommunications Agency on page 3.

An R/T licence only gives you approval to use a radio in an aeroplane.

In reality, no one gets upset if someone listens to airband on a handheld, especially if it is a pilot and is looking to increase their RT knowledge or check for weather. But re-broadcasting it over the Internet is a whole new ball game and action would be taken.

VA

Cuban
23rd Oct 2003, 03:53
Thanks for clarification.

I assume then that the North American laws don't prohibit their
net broadcasts, so I will have to stay with these or my airband.

Many thanks again

Scott Voigt
24th Oct 2003, 09:51
In the US you can indeed listen into the airwaves and you will find them on the internet from different sites. You can't however sell them...

regards

Scott