PDA

View Full Version : Need Straightening Out.......

SpeedBird 001
21st Oct 2003, 04:15
Good Day All,

I'm planning a flight from Gamston to Lydd for sometime before Christmas and was wondering if this 340 odd mile round trip can be used for one of the CPL x-country pre-requisits? It satifies the distance, but not the two full stop landings. To get around this I am gonna stop at Southend for a bite to eat ect and then carry on to Lydd. Are there any distance requirements between the individual legs on this flight or will it be satisfactory to fly Gamston - Southend - Lydd - Gamston in the same day?

Answers always appreciated.

SpeedBird 001
:ok: :ok:

Chuffer Chadley
21st Oct 2003, 05:21
As I recall:

It's 300nm total, with two full-stop landings. At least one of the legs must be 100nm.

So it sounds like your route as briefed satisfies this. And I think it's best to do it all in 1 day.

There's a PDF on the caa website with the exact requirements.

Ciao!
CC

Canada Goose
21st Oct 2003, 06:47
Speedbird,

I'm not sure of the UK situation, but in Canada, the CPL required a 300 nm radius trip, i.e. a 600 nm round trip. Of course, if you flew with someone else, they might be able to do the return journey. As from the sounds of things in the UK, you also had to include 3 full stop landings as well .........

I could be wrong, and someone in the know will no doubt in the fullness of time validate this !!

Good luck.
CG:)

mbcxharm
21st Oct 2003, 13:37
Chuffer Chadley

Where's this business about a 100 nm leg come from? I can't find it is LASORS anywhere...(it only mentions 300 nm and 2 full stop landings as far as I can see)

mad_jock
21st Oct 2003, 17:17
There is no stipulation for 100nm leg its a throw back to the cpl test which must have one leg of 100nm.

And my xc that I submitted was 350nm long and had 6 stops various places round Florida. Had a 1 hr kip on a beach on both the east coast and west coast of florida.

Chuffer Chadley
22nd Oct 2003, 00:11
Hmmm

I seem to have imagined the 100nm bit. Sorry.

Hey, ho!

CC

mbcxharm
22nd Oct 2003, 11:49
No worries mate. I did my qualifier the other day and got a bit concerned that's all! :ok:

batty
26th Oct 2003, 15:05
You have to do a 100nm leg in the CPL skills test??? Guess my license is invalid then!

Send Clowns
27th Oct 2003, 01:32
I think you have to plan and commence a leg of about 100 nm. Then onwards you navigate correctly and adjust the trip at the examiner's discretion, as far as I am aware.

kpx1124
27th Oct 2003, 17:34
The VFR nav leg plus the diversion leg must be 100nm or more, but the diversion leg is rarely flown in full, it's down to the examiners discretion to see how well the student copes with the IF diversion, nav-aid use etc.

Of course, this will all be changing in January when the IF part of the test is altered....

batty
28th Oct 2003, 00:01
Phew...thanks for that...I was going to have take myself off the roster...;)

mad_jock
28th Oct 2003, 01:40
What are they doing to the IF leg?

Just interested.

MJ

kpx1124
28th Oct 2003, 17:53
The skill test changes are based on the following...

A CPL holder is not legally allowed to fly in imc conditions (unless suitably qualified with an IMC/IR rating). Therefore the bulk of IF handling and nav is being reduced in the skills test to be more representative of flying into bad weather and having to get out of it, rather than continued operation of the flight in IMC. From what I am lead to believe, the student will be put under the screens towards the end of the exam and have to navigate back to their departure aerodrome, rather than carrying out the IF diversion and all the IF general handling.

How much of the IF handling content will be altered I am unsure of... I guess an FTO should be able to answer this better than me!