PDA

View Full Version : quality of ATPL notes??

Delta Uniform
21st Oct 2003, 00:57
I know that alot has been said about the Ground Schools in other threads...but none say much about the actual quality of the notes (other than 4Forces notes were dreadful). I would have thought this was the most important factor. I've seen some notes from one or two schools and didn't find them very well written. I'm not complaining about the content which in both cases was fine. But having read some Trevor Thom manuals I think there is a big difference. Just wondering other peoples experiences?

paco
21st Oct 2003, 02:38
Why not try mine? :) Transair have it

Phil Croucher

Send Clowns
21st Oct 2003, 05:41
I have looked at 4 sets. I work for one of the companies and wrote some of the notes, so am unable to compare them objectively, but I would say that they are all of good quality. They are, in alphabetical order, BCFT, Bristol, GTS (the old PPSC notes) and OATS/Jeppesen. Best of luck!

darkbarly
21st Oct 2003, 07:04
;)

Have authored some notes myself, albeit the engineering side. Can appreciate how little effort goes into certain sections of a reputable suppliers learning material, nevertheless presentation is often subjective ie: some like lots of detail head-on, others like to be eased in to a subject.

Looking around at whats available at the mo - most impressed with BGS based on the excellent on-line forum, with any discrepancies discussed properly, queries answered promptly, good feedback from exams and a man with a friend in the CAA who can give guidance and advice the inevitable examination grey areas.

FlyingForFun
21st Oct 2003, 16:28
Are you doing a distance learning course, or residential? If you're doing distance learning, then I agree with you 100% that the quality of the notes of one of the single most important factors. For a residential course it's less important, because instructors can and should suppliment the notes, but it's important nevertheless.

The quality of the notes was one of the reasons I chose Bristol. They are clear, easy to read, well illustrated, have big margins for making my own notes in, and are printed on good quality paper. What's more, their sales literature (or at least the sale literature that I read almost two years ago - it may have changed since) points out how important the quality of the notes is, highlights many of the points I've just made, and includes a sample of their notes - which indicated to me that they are a school who think about what they're doing, and come to the same conclusions as me.

FFF
---------------

Jinkster
21st Oct 2003, 21:06
I have used 4 forces (which were apart of my course) and Oxford/ Jeppesen manuals.

The 4 forces note were a bag of ****

The Oxford Manuals are absolutely fantastic - although are pricey if you ask me. I havent looked at BCFT or Bristol so cant really comment.

Best of luck

malaysian eaglet
21st Oct 2003, 21:27
To be avoided absolutely: the 4 forces notes.
Except, each school has its positive and negative points. Nothing is perfect.
Concerning the post of Send Clown, I confirm the notes of those schools are quite correct in average. I will add Atlantic Flight Training in the list.
Bon courage!!

VFE
21st Oct 2003, 22:21
I dunno how many times one has to say this before people finally take notice but there's only one school that will get you through the ATPL's quicker and better than anywhere else and that is BRISTOL GROUNDSCHOOL.

Quite frankly nobody else comes near them. I've seen pretty much the lot too so if you don't wanna listen then lots of luck you'll need. . . . .

If it's overwhelming details and non related info you want then you'll have your work cut out passing. Fishing for more than the basic minimum info you need to pass the exams is a risky buisiness when it comes to ATPL's.

Also, I would avoid over complicating matters by getting your hands on all the notes you can. Stick with one school (ideally BGS) and leave it at that.

VFE.

Delta Uniform
21st Oct 2003, 23:57
Bristol seems to be very popular with ppruners. But.....I was reading through the first 4 chapters of the 'Principles of Flight' module from BGS and found it fairly hard going. I know this is a tough subject with Coefficient of Lift etc etc. But I found myself reading sentences that lasted for a whole paragraph and (for me) lots of assumed knowledge. I then read a Trevor Thom manual on the same area and things clicked immediately.

clubley
22nd Oct 2003, 00:02
Don't try Cabair's they use old 4 forces notes. Bought aa a job lot:yuk:

FlyingForFun
22nd Oct 2003, 00:07
VFE said:I dunno how many times one has to say this before people finally take notice but there's only one school that will get you through the ATPL's quicker and better than anywhere else I was going to disagree with him, but before I got a chance, Delta Uniform replied:I was reading through the first 4 chapters of the 'Principles of Flight' module from BGS and found it fairly hard goingWhich illustrates the point which I was about to make perfectly.

Personally, I agree with VFE that Bristol's notes are ideal. But we are all different, and what's ideal for one person isn't necessarilly ideal for another. You can not read recommendations for BGS (or any other school) on PPRuNe, and make your decision based on what other people say. The only way to find out which notes you will find easiest to study from is for you to get hold of a sample of schools' notes and make up your own mind.

I will happily tell people what choices I made, and I why I made them, but I wouldn't ever tell anyone else what is best for them, because I don't know.

FFF
---------------

PS - Bristol are the best ;)

VFE
22nd Oct 2003, 06:19
Well that's a fair enough point FFF and who am I to argue really as I don't know how other peoples minds work! I just know what I've seen but I think it has to be a pretty universal objectivity that people possess when it comes to differentiating over-complicated notes which are full of circumlocution from straight to the point well crafted paragraphed notes with 3D diagrams.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm the weirdo. Or maybe I'm the only normal human and you're all aliens! Now then. . . . what about THAT!! Erm. . . .http://www.blastwaves.com/motorforum/images/smiles/eusa_shifty.gif

VFE.

Send Clowns
22nd Oct 2003, 07:05
VFE - the point is that does not just apply to Bristol's notes. There are things in them I think I have gone through better in my notes. Alex may disagree. Some students would probably prefer my way, some Alex's. The point is there are several good sets out there, not just one!