PDA

View Full Version : AIRBUS ENGINE OUT

AIRBUS58
3rd Feb 2001, 15:05
AIRBUS PILOTS:

With an engine out after v1 , how is the yaw managed ie rudder , rudder trim , autopilot with transition from ground to air.

Diesel8
3rd Feb 2001, 19:47
On the ground, just feed in a boot full of rudder. Once airborne use a good deal of rudder trim to center the beta target on the PFD. Once beta target is centered you can engage autopilot. You could do this sooner, but then the autopilot is a little rough feeding in the rudder.

Airplane is very easy to handle throughout the event, biggest problem I see in the sim, is over rotation and chasing the FD. Just set the pitch attitude for about eight to ten degrees and fly off, once the FD settles
down it is easy.

Clear STATUS
5th Feb 2001, 23:52
The Airbus is great with one engine out.....relatively low workload. Airbus has a concept of a Beta target. It doesn't respond like the usual sideslip indicator as the most modern aircraft use spoilers to augment roll. What the beta target commands is enough sideslip to prevent roll spoiler deployment.

Climbing away to 400ft aal, the usual things to do are to select TOGA and trim (unless very light...Vma/Vmcg etc). The manual trim selector on the A320 demands 1 degree a second but the autopilot in it's much less. (The A330 is 1deg/sec for the 1.5 seconds and 3 deg/sec there after...flap/slats extended). So trim first (15 deg out of the full 20 is a good ball park figure) and then autopilot in.

The approach is a little different. The Airbus flies a great deccelerated approach on a single engine and even autolands with them too. I think it is easier though to select manual thrust if in manual flight. The usual pre-emptive 'power up - foot up'. It is easier to trim using the faster rate of rudder trim that is available. Having said that if the other conditions dictate stick to an autoland!!!

Hands off after the failure the aircraft will climb away with bank angle increasing to about 5 degrees and it will stay there. Why you want to, i don't know but nice to know!!! It uses the lateral normal law to contain the failure.

[This message has been edited by Clear STATUS (edited 05 February 2001).]

AffirmBrest
8th Feb 2001, 12:34
Clear STS:

"The manual trim selector on the A320 demands 1 degree a second but the autopilot in it's much less"

I'll say it is: it's zero degrees per second with the A/P in! The rudder trim is disabled with A/P engaged. More to the point, why would you need to manually trim rudder with the A/P in anyway? It is always a good idea to trim for SE before engaging the autopilot but not because it otherwise has control problems ,but because (as I understand it) it applies rudder quite violently if out of trim when you engage the A/P.

I find manual thrust when flying single engine easier because you can ANTICIPATE thrust changes (and hence trim changes) better. If doing a CAT3A autoland, you need A/THR anyway so the thing flies itself without worrying about trimming etc.

From perf A (?) I believe 5 deg of bank towards the live engine improves the situation by reducing the rudder demand and thereby decreasing VMCA (increasing your safety margin of control). In fact, I think that VMCA is calculated assuming this bank is applied.

Hope this is of use, and always I await the usual corrections/feedback/insults...!

AB

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...