PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth 5th Jan 2004

boney m
20th Oct 2003, 18:38
To anyone who can help,

I'm starting at the collage on Jan the 5th. Can anyone out there suggest a B&B or otherwise? Any personal recommendations?

Any help would be great. I'm just trying to plan ahead a bit. I've just got the offer of employment, you see, and it's only 11 weeks away! Gulp!:uhoh:

Any other general advise, about the college, Bournemouth etc would be good too.

By the way, any one else starting in Jan? Are you beginning to pap yourselves like me? I'm excited too, but still, fear of the unknown and all that.

Thanks in advance to anyone replying.

(PS. MR 777 you were on Oct 2003 with me, then March 2004, where are you now?)

:ok: :ok: :ok:

weselfluren
20th Oct 2003, 18:51
Arghhhhh!!! I had an interview in February 2003, and now "due to policy" (and other delaying factors), by the time I will have a 2nd interview to cover the "near miss" (why it was a near miss, they wouldn't specify) it'll be Jan 2005 - an extra year - before I can even hope to get down to Bournemouth...... Wouldn't be so bad if they could have specified why I wasn't convincing enough first time round, yet good enough to give another go to. The whole recruitment policy baffles me comletely...:( :ouch:

Rant aside (yet again) - well done Boney M, enjoy the course and make the most of it. You have a very coveted place down there, so don't "pap" yourself too much, sure the instructors wouldn't appreciate it!!:D

Good luck and watch out for the 05' intake (maybe:E),
WF:ok:

garthy
20th Oct 2003, 19:15
I've been told to wait till November to fill in the on-line application form, now that all the HR move is over.
Got a letter stating that next lot of assessment will be after November, with final interviews within 6 weeks of this.
I too was told Jan '05 was the first start date.
Is it likely that if the gods are smiling on me and I get through, I may have to wait until October 04 before being told I'm on the Jan course???
Need to be cautious, as wifes a teacher and needs to hand notice in etc and find new job with a little more notice than 11 weeks!!:(

Report Visual
20th Oct 2003, 19:30
Hope it all works out, good luck to everyone trying to apply with the confusion of the HR move, or is that just their confusion in general.

Garthy, always difficult if in a relationship, especially when you get posted off to far and distant lands for your OJT.

Boney M, advice about Bournemouth, get a few packs of Alka-Seltzer. They do help calm the constitution after a weekend out on the Beers!!!

RV

Jerricho
20th Oct 2003, 19:33
Boney M - check your PM's!!

garthy
20th Oct 2003, 20:26
Thanks for the comments RV,
As she's a teacher, posting around the country for OJT is OK, as she can supply.
She would just rather be settled into a permanent post if I made it to Bournemouth for the 18 month college course, as it would be guarenteed money, and would help replace the drop in my income in starting the course from my current role.
Agree with the general comments that HR seems to be an "issue". If the organisation is so short staffed, why are they taking so long to employ people?

weselfluren
20th Oct 2003, 20:38
Exactly!!:(

Can anyone out there answer the question? We're all dying to know why.........

Arkady
20th Oct 2003, 21:10
Speaking from the sharp end, there is no shortage of trainees, just a shortage of valid staff. A lot of the trainees we get at LACC have held during or just after their course, so there seems to be no imperative to pump more people into the system.

As an aside, I thought the course had been significantly shortened and most of the OJT taken out. Anyone out there know for sure?

dannyo
20th Oct 2003, 23:55
I've been told to wait till November to fill in the on-line application form, now that all the HR move is over.
Got a letter stating that next lot of assessment will be after November, with final interviews within 6 weeks of this.
I too was told Jan '05 was the first start date.
Is it likely that if the gods are smiling on me and I get through, I may have to wait until October 04 before being told I'm on the Jan course???
Need to be cautious, as wifes a teacher and needs to hand notice in etc and find new job with a little more notice than 11 weeks!!

I was told in July of this year that, pending the security checks, I would be on the October 2004 course so don't panic! If you are successful, you will find out which course a fair old while beforehand. I think our learned friend just refers to the final "Offer of Employment" being 11 weeks before the course.

Good luck all - see you in B'mouth for a couple sometime praps!!;)

Edited to say: I don't mean to put a dampener on anyone's spirits but I started applying in September 2002 so if you start applying November 2003, its more likely to be about that time in 2005. Sorry:sad:

mr.777
21st Oct 2003, 04:15
Boney M,

How's it going buddy?! I'm still on Mar 04 despite constant badgering of HR to move me forward....at least you'll be able to give me a heads up for when I start!
Next,a little message for Jerricho....been reading your EGLL thread with interest,as this is (god-willing) ideally where I'd like to end up.Seems not very popular,am I insane for wanting to go there?!Also,how do trainee ATCOs get to choose between Approach and Area?Any info greatly appreciated,hope to see you up there in 2005 (new tower built by then?!)...

Sorry for hijacking your thread Boney M:O let me know how you get on.....

Gonzo
21st Oct 2003, 04:45
mr. 777

You're insane if you want to go and work with Jerricho! Although he'll be ensconsed in the wilderness of the tundra by the time you finish at Bournemouth!

Jerricho works at West Drayton staring at a bank of radar screens all day. Every fortnight for an hour they let him upstairs and walk about on the surface so he doesn't forget what daylight looks like.

Come to the tower, we're all very happy there!:E

You do get a preference between area and approach, although usually there's only five or six approach places as opposed to twenty or so area. If you make it known you want Heathrow, it may help.

VectorLine
21st Oct 2003, 20:41
I used both the 'Hawaiian' and the 'Clematis' B&Bs.

They were ok and cheap enough.

You will have no bother getting accommodation in January as there will be no holiday makers or language students at that time.

You can probably even leave it till you go for the induction week to find out where some of your coursemates are staying. Some on my course did that.

There is also the option of renting a room at the Hospital accommodation. Downside is you have to sign up for a year, the rooms are not massive and you share a bathroom.

Upsides - very near college, next door to 24 hour tescos (if you are an insominiac!). Accross the road from leisure centre (where we used to play 5 a side every week) and the onsite medical staff bar (complete with plenty of nurses). Some people from my course went there also.

As for advice for the course?....
1. Don't worry it starts very gently and the studying is nowhere near as intensive as they would have you believe.

2. If you are an aviation enthusiast or have done some flying already you will be way ahead of most people to start with. You will also be everyones best friend when it comes to learning aircraft types and recognition.

3. If you no nothing about aviation - dont worry it's easy to pick it up (I was completely green when I went) and you will soon find a new best freind on the course who is great at aircraft recognition!

4. Don't get too cocky about your training if it is going well - those who are finding it hard will hate you and the instructors will try to bring you down a peg or two - there was some tw@t at CATC when I was there used to walk around with an ATC bomber jacket on. Don't know what happened to him but he wasnt liked and I dont see him around.

5. Enjoy your time in bournemouth - summer is great!

Jerricho
21st Oct 2003, 23:43
Gonze........you and I know they only let me out of my box at feeding times! And, don't forget in the not too distant future (he-he), the TC road show south will commence, so there's something to look forward to!

And Mr 777, don't let all the cr@p put you off. As you probably have gathered, we are all passionate about our jobs, if not a little selfish sometimes when we perceive somebody is getting something we aren't! And some people are just pure wind up merchants ;) .

Every ATC unit has it's own little flavour to keep you on your toes. EGLL is it's lack of airspace (from a radar perspective), but we predominantly work similar performance jets (Although, at night when Thames/Special go home, we can play with the Copper Choppers). EGSS and EGGW, being Class D airspace get to play with out GA brothers, intergrating them into a circuit or looking for a zone crossing clearance. And I'm sure the others guys and gals out there would be happy to share the little nuiances that make every Airport unit special (Even sunny Belfast Aldergrove 's death by helicopter!!!).

In the college, it doesn't hurt making little noises that you would like to go to Heathrow, if that's what you want (and you are on an approach course....I believe they are starting to stream into area or approach directly from day one now)

AND, when you're in the college, watch out for the "New Car Syndrome". Number of people who go out and buy a new car and it brings bad luck!

mr.777
22nd Oct 2003, 18:16
Thanks for info Jerricho.

Must say EGLL had quite a good vibe about it when I went for a visit last year.Looking fwd to Bournemouth.....got my new car last year and already had it pranged twice,so hopefully wont be afflicted by New Car Syndrome!

Cheers,

Wooks
27th Oct 2003, 22:02
Boney,

I'm due to start Jan '04 course. Have had it changed a few times before though. Nowhere to stay, but thanks everyone for the advice given.

I'm bricking it a bit as well as looking forward to it all immensely. I'm greener than the green green grass round at Toms house and the grey matter hasn't been used since 2Unlimited where in the charts. Still waiting for the letter saying "we're terribly sorry about the huge administration error, how did you ever think that we'd want you!"

Time will tell. I'll send you a PM with contact details.

Wooks
:ok:

Odi
28th Oct 2003, 21:13
Only 11 weeks notice from the receipt of your letter of confirmation? I didn't get my letter until the middle of the week before I was due to start. I only had 10 weeks total notice from being told (by phone) I was through to starting at the college.

Caused more than a mild panic or two, I can tell you!

I was working as an AATC for the MoD alongside Blue Suiters and it confused the hell out of Personnel (as they were then) and so they sent a request to the RAF for a job reference on me. The RAF, of course, had never heard of me and returned all the forms! Seems that nobody had heard of a strange tool called a telephone to ring me and see where i was working.........

ILS 119.5
31st Oct 2003, 07:09
Just pick any B & B on Westby Road, you're sure to meet more cadets(sorry students) there. More to worry about is the course, the easy bit. Work hard and if you can, choose appraoch. The Approach will give you more flexibility if you want to leave NATS and move back to near your home, if there's an airport. If you don't get through then go and fly for an airline, its a lot easier!

10W
7th Nov 2003, 05:11
In Bournemouth for a few weeks and no doubt out for a social beer or two ...... just look for the old buggars with the bags under their eyes ;) And say hello !!

Dances with Boffins
12th Nov 2003, 15:57
ILS - Most of the old Westby Rd B&Bs are flats now - you're showing your age.
The New-Car curse is still active. Drive a banger, and pass the course.
Everything Vectorline says is gospel.
NATS is short of Area Controllers, and the people to train more. The system can only handle a certain rate of intake, hence the delays.
HR say they are now all pointing in the right direction. We await the outcome with baited breath.
Wes - NATS gives an award to staff with 25 years service. We may end up sending you yours before you start the course, at this rate. .:p Keep the Faith

DWB :cool:

I still don't know why my signiture don't work.....

weselfluren
12th Nov 2003, 16:18
NATS is short of Area Controllers, and the people to train more. The system can only handle a certain rate of intake, hence the delays.

DWB - heard the same sort of info from "internal" sources and a surprisingly frank conversation (well, 2 minute phone call) with HR

As for the 25 years service award, would rather just know what's going on than being continually left in the dark....:\ :{

Glad to know there are people out there sympathising with my "plight" - thanks for the support:ok: . Will be watching the developments within HR with baited breath - as I'm sure most ATCO's will, as to increase numbers, surely you have to recruit and retain. What's the solution?:confused:

Keeping the faith,
WF :ouch:

P.S. New Year's resolution = to become Pprunes least whinging reader....need a little Hr help to succeed!

ILS 119.5
19th Nov 2003, 09:27
DWB, only 40 you cheeky B. Will be down at CATC next week (oops maybe not CATC now, showing my age). As I said, if you can choose Approach, do so. I was at LATCC and one of the guys on my watch said "go for area". After x amount of years in the job and doing both "go approach" if possible. Sorry losing the thread here. You will be, I think, made to do "Area Control" which on one hand is good (for NATS anyway), but bad for for the future. Meaning that if you do AREA then you have a choice of 3 places to work:- NERC, EGCC, or SCOATCC. If you do Approach then you can work at any airport in the country from Lands End to Stornaway.

BobAgg
11th Dec 2003, 22:00
Boney,

I'm halfway through the course, here's what I did initially, it worked out perfectly for me, and the rest of the course seemed to take the same route as I did..

Get a B&B on Westby Road ( or nearby) and stick it out for ADC1! I'd recommend The Edwardian, the Seaway, The Ravensbourne or the Strand!

During ADC1, you'll get to suss who you'd like to share a house with, there are plenty of possibilities posted in the Liasion Officers Office at the college, and get sharing a house for ADC2, which is much more intense than ADC1!

As for the unknown, agree with the instructors whether you agree with them or not, don't try and be a cocky ****, just get your head down and do the work and you'll have a good time!

Need any help, give us a shout!

Cheers!