PDA

View Full Version : How journalists get reated in Africa ...

PAXboy
20th Oct 2003, 09:32
A light hearted story at the start of the week. If you travel on a president's aircraft, take care ...

Yahoo news (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/031019/80/ebjwa.html) Sunday October 19, 07:22 PM

BLANTYRE (Reuters) - A Malawi court has fined a foreign journalist for breaching security rules by trying to use a business class toilet on a state airliner carrying Vice-President Justin Malewezi.

"Your Worship...I did not know that it was an offence on Air Malawi to visit the toilet in the business class," Peter Chilambwe told Presiding Magistrate Arthur Mtalimanja.

The Zambian journalist said after being fined 50 kwacha (27 pence) on a charge of conduct likely to cause a breach of public peace that he would never travel with Air Malawi again.

"They should make these rules clear when one is booking," he told Reuters.
==========
It's always good to see the courts being used to defend the nation against dangerous men. :rolleyes:

Bumz_Rush
20th Oct 2003, 18:48
Nice to see you reading quality newspapers......I was passing LHR sunday night.....vast crowds at Hatton Cross waiting to see the 7pm Concorde departure....She went off 9L not R, where I was waiting....
On 24th there will be the last flight, so get your act together and drop down M1......

Deaf
23rd Oct 2003, 19:42
Probably should be in JB but he got off lightly

Journalist shot after 'get rid of him' order

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/10/23/wjourn23.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/10/23/ixworld.html

Cardinal Puff
3rd Nov 2003, 04:48
More tinpot dictators in Africa than anywhere else. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking any African country is a democracy. Whenever one of the elite moves around roads get closed off, vehicles and pedestrians herded out of the way by machine gun toting thugs and airports get closed for up to six hours to allow the great man to depart unimpeded by the rabble who pay his salary.

GRRRRR!:*

AeroBatfink
3rd Nov 2003, 08:18
More tinpot dictators in Africa than anywhere else. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking any African country is a democracy. Whenever one of the elite moves around roads get closed off, vehicles and pedestrians herded out of the way by machine gun toting thugs and airports get closed for up to six hours to allow the great man to depart unimpeded by the rabble who pay his salary.

So much the same as here in UK and in the US then.... ?

I'll always remember the sight of US security staff poking around in a waste bin in Auckland after someone dropped something in there. The arrogance was amazing - the president of the USA was visiting as a guest of their country, yet his obnoxious security gorillas were constantly harassing Kiwis and stopping them going about their daily business...

The bonus of being in the UK is that the police will even close the roads to move football supporters away from the game they just watched so they don't all kill each other. Isn't that nice of them, eh?

On Track
4th Nov 2003, 08:24
Cardinal Puff,

The situation was not much better than that when the so-called Leader of the Free World visited my country recently.

Cardinal Puff
5th Nov 2003, 01:01
Yep. Saw Clinton getting the royal treatment in UK a few years back. At least we didn't have machine guns shoved up our noses. We have to get the message across to The Great Ones that they work for us and not the other way around. I suppose that can be tricky in a one party dictatorship....