PDA

View Full Version : De-icing

cirrostratus
19th Oct 2003, 01:13
With the onset of winter can anyone tell me what deicing solution their club is using for aircraft parked out overnight and where they get it? I used to teach at a club where they used it but it folded and my present club wants to utilise the same, otherswise we miss the first slot every day waiting for the frost to defrost! Yes and I know it would be better to put covers on or even better hangar the aircraft but it ain't an option........:rolleyes:

UL730
19th Oct 2003, 01:34
Kilfrost Ltd

Albion Works
Haltwhistle,
Northumberland
NE49 0HJ

Phone: 01434321500

A and C
19th Oct 2003, 01:45
I have seen a number of clubs try to save money by watering down Type 2 fluid .

This fluid is ment to be mixed with water but if two much water is used then the mixture re-freezes as clear ice , this is much harder to spot and will add more weight to the airframe than hore frost.

Remember if you have any doubt about the need to de-ice or not to de-ice then there is NO doubt the aircraft should be de-iced !.

UL730
19th Oct 2003, 03:32
Oops! – should have added RTFI.

Made assumption that pilots are senescent, rationale creatures.

Further recommended reading to instructions:

CAP 512

ISO’s 11075, 6, 7, 8.

Boeing "Airliner" Magazine – Winter Ops. Dec 1989.
Clean Aircraft Concept by Eugine Hill. C & C Div. Aerodynamics Engineering. Boeing - Renton Division.

cirrostratus
22nd Oct 2003, 00:43
Thanks for the top tips guys, very useful. Clealry, this stuff should only be used in controlled circumstances and if there is any doubt there is no doubt, don't fly!

:ok:

IO540
22nd Oct 2003, 01:24
I would be interested what options are available for de-icing an aircraft which has been left out at night and is covered with thick frost the next day. Mine is hangared at base but that's not normally available away from home! The standard pump-up deicer (basically a paint spray machine from B&Q) is bulky and not exactly safe (nasty chemicals) to carry on board.

flyingfemme
22nd Oct 2003, 05:23
Couple of bottles of cheap vodka? Useful in case of severe weather delays too!:E

UL730
22nd Oct 2003, 19:59
Read the instructions!

I have seen a number of clubs try to save money by watering down cheap Vodka.

This fluid is meant to be mixed with water but if two much water is used then the mixture does not have the same potency. This is easy to spot and will retard the process of inebriation.

Remember if you have any doubt about the need to drink or not to drink then there is NO doubt the bottle should be drunk!

Flyin'Dutch'
22nd Oct 2003, 20:12
IO,

The stuff you get from the carshop is unsuitable for aeroplanes so I have been told as it is quite corrosive.

No option but to fork out for the proper stuff.

FD

PS: Talking about proprietary stuff. Have you ever used Plexus? I had not until this weekend, truly fabulous stuff to clean and polish the perspex.

Circuit Basher
22nd Oct 2003, 20:49
Good advice all round here - my experience (from Canada) is that in winter, the aircraft were in a heated hangar. On the odd occasion that they'd been out overnight, then an approved aircraft de-icing fluid (diluted IAW manufacturers instructions) was applied using a garden sprayer.

Do NOT, under ANY circumstances be tempted to de-ice using hot water or to scrape off as much hoar frost as you can with a credit card and say 'she'll be right'. You either defrost the lot properly, or you don't fly.