PDA

View Full Version : when am I getting my license...

Pilot16
18th Oct 2003, 06:43
Hi

You may remember my post when I passed my skill test on the 14th of September.

The situation is, last week i received everything back but no license, with a letter asking me to send proper identification.
What was sent previously was a photocopy of my passport, as advised by the examiner.

However I sent everything back with my birth certificate this time, streight away. Last Tuesday, I received the birth certificate with a receipt saying the money has been taken.

Any idea when I will receive my license anyone?
Im running out of patience :( , and I really wanna fly!

jackyboy
18th Oct 2003, 07:06
I got mine about a week after the the reciept for payment letter.

hopefully you should be near the end of your saga.

Pilot16
18th Oct 2003, 07:44
Thanks,

I hope Saturday will be the day for me..
tommorrow!! Lets wait and see...

Deano777
18th Oct 2003, 10:05
if its any comfort to you I waited 9 weeks and 5 days to get my shiny ****ty coloured PPL wallet :D (and believe me it is a ****ty colour :D)
Try and forget about it, I know its hard, it doesnt stop you flying though, you can still fly but without passengers, just get someone to sign you out at your FTO

I do wish FTO's would stop telling their students that photocopies are acceptable when they clearly are not, if you read the smallprint on the application Im sure it states on there to send 'passport/birth certificate', it doesnt say "photocopies will suffice"

Hope it arrives soon, keep flying, keep current :ok:

Dean :)

Pilotage
18th Oct 2003, 15:09
I was chatting the other day with the gentleman who checks license applications at the BMAA - that is for NPPL(microlights).

He said that about 50% of applications are wrong and have to be returned, for silly things usually like no proof of identity, incorrect hours, unsigned forms. And of course, he has to return them.

The difference of-course is that he does it the day they arrive, not 6 weeks later like CAA.

And even more surreally, after BMAA has checked everything, filled out the forms, and sent it on to CAA within 24 hours - CAA still takes 6-8 weeks to issue the blasted license.

Anyhow, my suggestion is to send a very short letter saying something like "if I don't have my license by Friday, I will write to every one of the UK flying magazines and my MP". Well, I did that to them once, it didn't get my license by Friday, but I did get it by the following Friday along with a personal apology from the Chairman of the CAA via my MP, refund of my application fees, and the satisfaction of knowing that it had cost the head of FCL a lot of favours to stop the letters being printed in 3 flying magazines.

P

N.B. But we can all do ourselves favours by being as polite as possible to the staff there - many are apparently leaving partly because of the abuse they receive from frustrated license applicants which helps nobody. The former department head, who presided over creation of the current management system, has of-course left on promotion.

MikeeB
18th Oct 2003, 17:11
Mine took 3 weeks and 1 day to turn around.

Was also told not to send photocopies.

That was just over a month ago.

Gertrude the Wombat
18th Oct 2003, 18:22
and I really wanna fly! You can fly as much as you like (with each flight being authorised as a solo flying lesson). You just can't take passengers.

Pilot16
18th Oct 2003, 21:51
ok thanks

but i received my license today!! Just as i predicted... :O And Im happy!

But I dont understand why it does not say any where anything about my night rating...:confused: I had completed all the night requirements during PPL training :rolleyes:

Charlie Zulu
19th Oct 2003, 01:25
The night rating will not be included under the Ratings to be Revalidated section on Page 4 as it is not a rating.

What will be included, however, is "The privilages of this licence may be exercised at night" under section IX on page 3.

If you don't see those words then give the CAA a call as they have made a mistake and you're not yet legal to exercise your privilages at night.

Great to know the CAA makes mistakes for the £201 it costs to have the PPL issued. Er that was five years ago, so the fee is probably a lot worse now. ;-)

Pilot16
19th Oct 2003, 03:08
lol
Thanks very much!! Yes I got it! It says exactly what you said.

Thanks again :ok:

PS. I would like to thank all the ppruners for the help and support through out my training !! :)

BEagle
19th Oct 2003, 04:11
I don't suppose that their workload is going to be any easier when all the JAR-FCL PPLs start coming up for re-issue, starting next year......

Of course the old UK PPL was (and still is) a lifetime licence. As is the new NPPL. So perhaps a few folk will ditch the JAR PPL and will take out a NPPL instead, if day VFR flying in the UK is all they wish to do.