PDA

View Full Version : Engines and faulty gear

ColdWaterSurf
2nd Feb 2001, 09:15
A light twin recently made an emergency landing at my local aerodrome. Apparently the problem was that one or more of the landing gear had failed to indicate locked. The good news is that the landing went off without a hitch and no-one was hurt.

Having landed immediately prior to the emergencies touch-down I had a ringside view and was listening to it all on the radio.

The pilot's intention was to shut the engines down on short final and glide in for a landing. The emergency services guys waiting on the side of the runway specifically told him not to do this... to leave his engines running.

My question is, why? If the gear had collapsed on landing wouldn't it have been better to have the engines stopped? Apart from the obvious (eg inability to go around) what are the reasons for leaving the engines running during such a landing?

Sheep Guts
5th Feb 2001, 00:39
Sounds like the firies wanted something to put out! :)This question needs a bit more info for a good reply like Aircraft type etc.
But seriously a pilot should take "advice only" from ground parties ie.( ATC, EMERGENCY SERVICES)anyway?
I can understand if there are DGs on board or hyjack situation. But the final decision rides with the pilot after taking everything into account( its his backside in the seat afterall).
Besides that, I believe in this particular situation as an outsider that controlled flight in a powered aircraft means having the engines running. With the Aircraft powered you have more control. Who is to say, you may need them for a go around or further ground directional control(assymetric) on the ground after touchdown.
Another question, was the Pilot shutting down the engines to avoid further damage to the engines or for fire prevention?
I think more likely the latter, as the engines would allready be headed for the scrap, as most airplanes light twins need new props, and atleast bulk strips on the engines after such an occurrence. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif
Just a few ideas, open to criticism! :)

Regards Sheep

------------------
Props are for boats!Unless its a Kingair.