PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft ground noise

Luke Mc
17th Oct 2001, 23:57
Hello
How far away from an airport under optimum conditions can you hear an aircraft on the ground or starting its takeoff run? I live about 3 miles from Liverpool airport and I can hear some large turboprop types running engines on the ground, and jets starting thier takoff runs.
Luke

Al Weaver
18th Oct 2001, 01:21
Sounds asbout right.

On a still summer night, I can hear jet engines on ground test running from about 5 miles away.

Most of all I miss the sound of trams 3 miles away running, which I knew as a young boy. I suppose that someday I will also miss the summer night sounds of those jet engines as well.

jumpseater
18th Oct 2001, 02:05
One of the main factors that influence the distance travelled by the noise is the meteorological conditions. For example in the right conditions I can hear aircraft departing from about 10 miles away, on those days I can't hear trains from about half a mile away in the other direction. When I can hear the trains, I never hear the airport.

pigboat
18th Oct 2001, 05:37
Well, I can tell you what things look like from the cockpit of anything powered by a RR Dart, Spey or Viper. People running away as fast as they can with their fingers stuck in their ears. :eek:

DHC Twin
18th Oct 2001, 05:55
The old noise question.Living at a given distance from an airport in any time up to the Seventies and latest the Eighties the noise was greater than today.One-Elevens,Tridents and older Boeings among other proper aeroplanes that used to rip the sky appart with that fantastic 'crackle'.

Living 10 miles from a certain 'Midlands' Airfield in the Seventies,all sorts of noises could be heard.Jets AND Turboprops taking off;the local ps RB211 Turbine Electricity Generator;the local race track (also 10 miles away);local Stock Car Racing etc.It's all down to the wind direction and also the density/humidity of the air.

I have absolutely no sympathy with complainers living near Airports.The two oldest ones are the best: 1 Aircraft are getting bloody quieter as we speak (it's perceptible and LAW); 2 Why the fck did you move there in the first place?(Obviously because you just like complaining a lot).

Seem to have strayed from the point a little,however,all NIMBYs note : I have a very large amplifier connected to which is a cassette machine containing a tape of a VC-10 on full power static engine runs,and it's coming your way.

:(

QAVION
19th Oct 2001, 04:35
"2 Why the fck did you move there in the first place?(Obviously because you just like complaining a lot)."

...and what if the airport moves to you, Betty? (e.g. new airport, new runway, new flightpaths, etc...). Still no sympathy? ;)

Yes, the aircraft are getting noticeably quieter... or is it simply me who's getting noticeably deafer because of all the fck-ing noise? :D

...and is the Concorde really quieter than a DC4 :confused:

Q.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Oct 2001, 17:19
All things are relative. I live 5 miles from Thruxton and the only aircraft noise I ever hear are the ones that decide to route at low level directly over my house.

However on racedays, it sounds like there's a swarm of bees at the bottom of my garden. Not only are the aircraft quieter, they're intermittent not continuous.

I know an airfield tucked in the crook between the M1 and M25 that still gets noise compliants. No pleasing some people is there.

I'm with Betty, most noise complainers have lived there since long after the airfield was built. I'm sure there are people with genuine cause for complaint - i.e. the aircraft moved in or drastically altered their patterns, but very few.

G

Dale Harris
19th Oct 2001, 17:26
AAAHHh, the age old question, eh? Those that shift into airport areas after establishment of the airport, NO SYMPATHY.(Why do you think it was cheap, you idiot?) I worked for a company that operated a Beech Queenair, the geared, supercharged type. I could hear it take off at nights, in the right atmospheric conditions and I lived 15 km's as the crow flies from the airport. But *hit they were a noisy type.