PDA

View Full Version : Pilots In Uniforms As Passengers

Stefan Stefanovic
17th Oct 2003, 01:15
I have heard a story wich took a place a couple of years.

The Captain had arrived at a airport and boarded a another flight as a paid passenger, still wearing his pilots uniform. The airline or Pilot of the flight refused him enterring the aircraft with his uniform. I dont know what happend next.

I am asking why is thise
if any body has an idea please say it

Dr Illitout
17th Oct 2003, 01:49
I was standing in a HUGE "Stand by" queue once, when I saw man turn up in "Civies". On seeing the queue, he turned around and went into the toilets only to return five miniutes later in the full "Captain speaking" uniform!!!. He then went to the check in desk and tried the old "Who's flying today" and "I'm aircrew so I can have the jump seat" lines. It didn't work though and I had to smile when my name was called out and his wasn't.:D
:D :D :D :D :D

ferrydude
17th Oct 2003, 01:50
If this fellow was "jumpseating" and not an employee of that particular carrier then it is entirely at the discretion of the flight's Captain as to who gets on and under what circumstances. Sounds unusual to me. Many times in this situ, I am accepted into the jumpseat, but offered a seat in the back if available whether in uniform or not.

Stefan Stefanovic
17th Oct 2003, 03:12
NO THE PILOT HAD BOUGHT THE TICKET DIRECTLY FROM THE AIRLINE, SO HE WAS TRAVVELING AS A PASSENGER

SORRY FOR ANY MISUNDERSTANDING

ferrydude
17th Oct 2003, 05:51
Quite unusual. The Captain refusing the boarding must have suspected this fellow of having dubious credentials. It would be very unusual for an aircrew member to be traveling in uniform after purchasing a ticket

Intruder
17th Oct 2003, 08:02
It would be very unusual for an aircrew member to be traveling in uniform after purchasing a ticket

Not unusual at all -- I do it a lot!

Often I finish a trip away from my base and have a company-paid ticket to base or home. If it's a short time between flights and a relatively short flight home, I'll keep the uniform on.

redsnail
17th Oct 2003, 11:50
I regularly pax (ticketed) before or after duty on another airline(s). No time to get changed. I haven't had any hassles with it except for the passengers blaming me for the delays or the landing and fielding questions about where the toilets are. :D

Hwel
17th Oct 2003, 15:23
regularly position in uniform, only hassle I've had is getting banned from BA lounge in BHX when in uniform as it disturbs the other pax. :( who think your getting it for free.

ferrydude
17th Oct 2003, 16:27
You folks will soon get tired of the little old ladies mistaking you for the porters!

neil armstrong
17th Oct 2003, 17:40
many moons ago ,Standing outside MIA in my uniform ,waiting for a cab.
A Family asked me to bring there bags to the AA check in.
I almost did it ,knowing that i would earn more money with it than i did for a whole day flying with my airline .:}

Neil

ferrydude
17th Oct 2003, 18:19
Right on Neil. I recall as a newly minted FE, proudly wearing my uniform whenever possible. After many years, and a few incidents like that, I ditch it as soon as I am able.

MidnightSpecial
17th Oct 2003, 22:49
Many moons ago I was a brand new DHC-6 first officer at the Grand Canyon. Our uniform consisted of any kind of navy blue pants, the pilot shirt in blue, and without epalettes. Why, I don't know, but I guess us Twin Otter pilots didn't rate them.

After terrifying tourists at the Canyon for the day I left work. I had to stop at the gas station in Tusayan, the little tourist trap town that was the gateway to the south rim of the Canyon. I was putting gas in my car when a car with out of state plates pulled in. They told me to gas up their car. I politely informed them that I didn't work there.

This is one of many reasons when it comes time for contract negotiations that I believe I deserve more money.

MS

Jerricho
17th Oct 2003, 23:07
except for the passengers blaming me for the delays

At which point you blamed ATC.........;) ;) ;)

(Very, very sorry........just couldn't resist :ouch: )

Avman
18th Oct 2003, 01:42
Right on Jerri :ok: ;)

Reminded me of the time I spotted the a/c I was due to fly on parked on a remote stand with engineers pouring all over the engine. Reason given for the delay was? You guessed it, ATC !

redsnail
18th Oct 2003, 02:16
Ahhhhhhhhhh Jezza, I know better than to do that. :E

hart744
18th Oct 2003, 11:41
I saw it first hand. A Saudi captain (Canadian expat) who was in full uniform travelling on a full fare J Class ticket was refused entry to the AC lounge in YYZ. The captain argued and lost. I was travelling on an ID00 with LH but in civies was allowed to use it.

flyblue
19th Oct 2003, 06:24
AF rule is that you cannot fly in uniform (rule applies only to AF staff, not other airlines' staff). If you show up in uniform, you are refused boarding.For pilots (both male and female) and stewards it's easy, because they just have to remove stars, stripes and wings ;), while it's a little more difficult for female CC. Have to carry something to conceal the uniform when in a hurry and hide the handbag, or change :( , or take the next flight :*

Blacksheep
19th Oct 2003, 08:24
Not quite 'on-thread' but it relates to being seated in the passenger cabin in uniform - on a flight as 'flying spanner' sent to recover an aircraft stuck at an outstation.

The recovered aircraft was flying back with four of us on the flight deck in uniform. When the meal was served, rather than balance a tray on our knees in the jump seats, us two engineers went back into the cabin to eat. While we were eating, the F/O [who was a Captain] came back for a chat. A passenger sitting opposite came over and asked "If you people are all in here, who's flying the aeroplane?" We had to take him up front to prove that the captain was actually at the controls. Ah such happy innocent days. We can't do things like that anymore.

Through difficulties to the cinema

[Edited to insert comma. We weren't eating the F/O. Only cabin crew are allowed to do that!]

daidalos
19th Oct 2003, 09:39
I’ m not sure if I have to interfere, many nice stories are told this way, but all the answers had nothing to do with the original question! Why the captain in uniform was refused to board as a pax.
Well, I believe, there is only one answer.
In some companies, where rules are stricter then in others, in case of emergency they don’t want to leave any doubt that the captain is seating in the cockpit and not, maybe, drinking in business, or even in coach.
In a smokey situation is very difficult to distinguish the real captain in uniform, if you can see two of them, or only the pax one.

hart744
20th Oct 2003, 09:39
We can wear our uniform when we fly as pax. Many crew don't live in FRA and commute.

ferrydude
20th Oct 2003, 16:44
Any crews allowed to consume alcohol while in uniform????

Basil
21st Oct 2003, 21:46
<<Any crews allowed to consume alcohol while in uniform????>>
Yes - mil :D

Enter F.O. (in costume) @ hotel. Looks into bar for other company crew. Tourists (from a far land) ask for highballs. F.O. goes to bar gets highballs and charges tourists double. Is handsomely tipped.
Exeunt F.O. - pleased. :)

How'd it do that? - it combined my two postings! :ooh:

Three now - Oh fergettit!

AKAAB
22nd Oct 2003, 03:07
Back when I was a frax pilot - travelling home on a first-class fare because it was the only seat available. Tried to go for a sit in the AA lounge and was denied entry because I was in uniform. I tried to explain that I was a paying passenger, had club priviliges already, and had a full-fare, first-class ticket, but was still denied. I offered to change out of my uniform shirt, but the club-nazi said I still could not come in because I had already been seen in uniform. Never used my AA club card again!
AKAAB

Flintstone
26th Oct 2003, 16:57
I always strip off the wings & bars when on board out of professional courtesy and for the reasons outlines by Daidalos.

I was once positioning London-Paris with a major airline and although I gone through the usual dis-robing most people around my seat saw me in uniform.

Soon after take-off the number one engine suffered several compressor stalls and without fail every head within ten rows turned toward me. I knew we'd have to turn back but couldn't say so in case the crew chose not to so continued reading my newspaper.

I've had several run-ins with the guardians of the business lounges, usually Lufthansa and Air France. Lufthansa are by far the worst. They'll sell you a business class ticket then try to deny you the privileges that go with it. They once let me in then tried to eject me "..because the passengers might see you drinking." Bloody right they will. Coffee.

Air France vary from day to day. The gate guardian usually has to phone a supervisor during which conversation I tell them if they want me I'll be in the lounge.

Captain Airclues
26th Oct 2003, 17:22
Some countries insist on crews entering and leaving in uniform. How does this work if they are then refused boarding because they are in uniform?

Airclues

SAS-A321
26th Oct 2003, 18:39
Why don't you just wear a sweat-shirt above your shirt? I have seen many pilots doing that, and the only reason I spotted them was due to thier flightbags.

mutt
26th Oct 2003, 23:54
We frequently position crews around the network, about 2000-2500 per WEEK. So around here its very common to see crews traveling in uniform.... :):)

Mutt.

PS.... before you ask, we arent a profitable airline :)

Basil
31st Oct 2003, 18:42
Mutt, we don't work for the same outfit do we? :D

Never had any difficulty passengering in uniform.
Not permitted in premium lounges but OK in aircraft cabin.

Prob doesn't look v good to commercial pax to see tired out, unshaven (guys too) crew dozing/dribbling :zzz: