PDA

View Full Version : Cheeky captains

Winkiepinkie
16th Oct 2003, 23:28
Ok, bit of an emergency:

Just got into a fight (discussion) with the boss. He will be flying a national (Italian) carrier, jumpseat, and a friend of his will flying it (friend is the bloody captain). Now, I rather quickly stated that since Sept 11, jump seat rides are no longer possible. Sure enough, whenever I plead/beg/bribe the check-in people with BA the tell me to bu@%er off (by the way, my father is retired BA engineer – and I know its tricky for employees, never mind the general public). And fair enough.

Based on this I assumed that being in Italy, they too would fall under the JAA rules and regs and hence my statement to the boss.

He then proceeded to call his buddy and confirm (with slimy grin) that he would be flying in the cockpit, much to my surprise (and dented ego).

Can anyone confirm that this is allowable in a JAA state or is the big bad Italian captain seriously bending the rules.

You understand that this is naturally a matter of life and death so I would be most grateful for any speedy response. I’ll post this in the Italian forum as well if that’s ok with the mods.

Thanks in advance

W.

NigelOnDraft
17th Oct 2003, 01:28
First of all, any restrictions on jump seat travel probably come under the heading of "security" issues... so should not really be discussed here in detail.

Secondly, I think you'll find the rules you are after are not JAR, but at a more national and company level...

NoD

flapsforty
17th Oct 2003, 01:52
As NoD says, rules made nationally, interpreted by each company and with our mob it's finally Subject to Captain's Discretion.
The Word of God is still law. ;)
(and a good thing it is too, or I wouldn't get to work half the time time) :ok:

AIRWAY
17th Oct 2003, 19:15
I have flown several times on 2 Portuguese airlines, 1 of them i knew the captain and it was previously arranged the jumseat ride, on the other airline i didn't arrange anything previously, but i was allowed the jump seat ride, and most times i travel i generally get accepted.

flapsforty is right :ok:

Winkiepinkie
17th Oct 2003, 20:01
Thanks. Looks like I goofed up. How come BA are so hell bent on this no jump seat business then, even with their employees )unless have the Id etc)?

Big Tudor
17th Oct 2003, 20:31
WP,

I think you'll find that the UK has stated NO persons on the jump seat unless they are company personnel on duty.

Avman
18th Oct 2003, 01:34
Basically only the FAA and the CAA have imposed these draconian rules because they are run by a bunch of goons! Fortunately most officials around the rest of the world still have a life!

hart744
18th Oct 2003, 11:45
At LH, we banned all cockpit visit/jumpseats unless you are crew. My better half, who works for AF said it's all up to the captain, who has final decision.

TopBunk
18th Oct 2003, 13:30
Jonny English

You are not correct in saying that you need to be in uniform.

mutt
18th Oct 2003, 22:59
Johnny English /TopBunk pls continue this in PM............

Uniforms or no uniforms do not need to be discussed in a public forum.

mutt.

Rwy in Sight
19th Oct 2003, 01:46
As usual flapsforty makes a bold rational statement maintaining or showing plenty of common sence.

Banning flight deck visits is one measure that would appear logical and very much needed on September 12 2001 but rather ridiculous after all. Cockpit visits were banned on the States a very long time ago, but this did not stopped the attacks from taking place.

I rather fly on an airline that allows cockpti visits as I feel that security is better achieved if bad guys don't come near the aircraft at all.

Stand to be corrected

Rwy in Sight

flyblue
19th Oct 2003, 06:16
hart744,

In AF jumpseat is possible only if you are staff (or travelling with staff on the same flight), and only with a ticket. You are right about Captain's discretion about visits, but I haven't witnessed one (who was not a staff or a staff relative/companion) since September 2001.

hart744
20th Oct 2003, 07:21
hallo flyblue, first of all, are you my better half? You sounded just like her. Secondly, you are just like her, who is right all the time.

jmc757
20th Oct 2003, 22:28
I sent a flight from BHX operated by one of the Spanish charter carriers and the captain took his "girlfriend" on the jumpseat as the aircraft was full. She had a ticket issued by the airline which he bought over on the outbound leg for her to travel back with him. Does this fall under UK laws as the flight was ex-UK, or Spanish lawd as its a Spanish reg'd aircraft, or just company rules??

Tee White Nun
21st Oct 2003, 05:28
Yeah i think its an excellent rule what the Dft came up with, with not letting anybody on the jumpseat, not even staff of that airline with an ID pass (yes who went thru the procedure of a CRC) and who just landed the plane him/her self 5 F*%$£&G minutes ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or even yesterday!

Explain that?! Am i all of a sudden a threat now that im on the jumpseat but not when am at the controls?!!!!

Just like the rule the Dft came up with about this door sealing business, the captain that sealed the doors last lets say at about 1.30am had to be the person to unseal them again at lets say 6.00am when the first flight went out!!! Yeah good one Dft, maybe they should have supplied the tent and sleeping bag to kip under the plane with!!

Needless to say that rule didnt last very long!!