PDA

View Full Version : That elusive first job.....

Northern Skies
16th Oct 2003, 00:21
I'm in a college aviation program. When I graduate, this should give me around 200 hours with a commercial multi-ifr.

In the meantime, I plan on taking a 50 hour float course on C180's, with a beaver introduction. This might get me a summer dock job and another 20-25 hours.

I might also go to BC to take a mountain flying course. (~10-15 hrs.)

I'm an avid fisherman (should go well among the bush operators), and I love skydiving (gives me a chance at a drop zone job). I have ramp experience on everything from C208's through to B757-200's.

So, with about 250-290 hours, a multi-ifr, an aviation technology diploma, and 50-75 hours on floats (C180), how are my prospects for a first job?

If you were hiring for an entry level position, and my resume was in front of you, how would I compare with everyone else?

604guy
16th Oct 2003, 03:17
Well first off I pleased to see that you are keeping all your options open and are not expecting to find yourself strapped to 737 within 90 days of finishing.

Making the rounds of the smaller operators in person, be it “bush”, courier contractors, small charter operators etc will sometimes produce results. It is often the case of the old adage, being in the right place at the right time. Flooding companies with resumes, in my opinion, is a real long shot unless you are responding to an ad or some specific opening that you have been made aware of. The one thing that seems to work though is networking. It’s certainly not a new idea nor does it require rocket science. Get out to some of the aviation events in your area. I couldn’t begin to count the number of jobs especially at that level that have been landed because somebody knew somebody who had met somebody…….
Attitude (yours not the aircrafts) will count for an awful lot at your success or lack of it in landing that all-important first job.

You might give some consideration to an instructors rating. It’s certainly not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s amazing how much you learn when you have to teach somebody else.

Oh, and your query about how your resume would stack up? Unfortunately it would be hard to tell it apart from the multitude of others that are in the pile which is why some face time can make a difference.

Best of luck with your course and your hunt.

goates
21st Oct 2003, 06:09
From what I've heard from a friend of mine, networking is the best way to get a job. He went from being an instructor 5 years ago to being asked to apply for a job at Westjet with just over the minimum number of hours they look for (most people that apply have double Westjet's minimum hours). All because he met the right people. He didn't even know the person from Westjet who called and asked him to apply, but someone put in a good word for him. Similar things have happened to instructors I've had at the local flying club. They meet someone at the right time, and off they go.

Good luck with the job hunt!

goates