PDA

View Full Version : Delta or cabair??

sinsall
15th Oct 2003, 06:47
Thinking of doing either 2yr JAA internship with Delta connections(orlando) or 12 months full-time APTL with cabair.
Has anyone got any advice that would sway me either way?
Im thinking good to get it all done in 12 months but Delta offer paid instruction(possibble)in the second year,good for hour building(but then you are stuck doing that!!)
With zero experience would the longer course serve me better?
Would the airlines have a preference?
Cabair?im going for a look round 2moz which should help,have they got a good reputation?
any constructive advice much appreciated.

Send Clowns
15th Oct 2003, 18:37
Can I ask why, at this early stage, before even having decided on the direction of the course, you have narrowed down your training provision to 2 companies? I realise that Delta is an unusual course but the training you would receive from Cabair could be offered in whole by probably 6 organisations, or different parts by perhaps 30 or more different companies.

If you have some particular reason for choosing Cabair this may have a bearing on responses given here.

sinsall
16th Oct 2003, 07:35
At this early stage!!!!!!
I have narrowed down from 30 companies or so over the last 12 months!!!
Thats why I asked if anyone had experience of these two. If I wanted advice about the other 30 or so companies,I would have asked for it.
There are soooooooooo many companies promising you the world and to be honest it has been hard to choose.
Location and value for money are major factors,but most of all when you are paying all this money you want the best chance of employment so training company with good reputation is important?
I have spoke to pilots who have told me "to work in the industry you have to train at either oxford or cabair"?

Send Clowns
16th Oct 2003, 21:06
OK, it just seems unusual to decide on the company before the path. This suggested you have some very specific criteria, and since everyone's choice is based on a different balance of factors it is impossible for anyone to give you advice if this is the case unless you explain what those criteria are. Otherwise you will simply get a deafening silence or the same, generalised advice you could have found by a simple search on this site.

When I was choosing a course I had an unfortunate frustration with the marketing policy of one company, trying to sell me completely the wrong type of course (to the extent of not mentioning that they actually could offer me the appropriate course), but one that would have commited me to that school. It crossed my mind that if you had not done thorough studies (as I had not at that stage, fortunately I carried on looking around) you may have been under similar pressure.

The pilots you ave spoken to are completely wrong. I know people who have trained at small schools who found excellent first jobs, and Oxford graduates currently waiting to start their careers, a couple of years since graduation. Your own qualities and the hours you fly will get you a job, not the school you learn with or the promises their marketing departments. Continuity of flying will get you that first-time, 50-hour IRT pass (the most important course factor) not the name badge on your shirt.

PPRuNe Towers
16th Oct 2003, 21:18
sinsall, this is no reflection on you at all but:

"to work in the industry you have to train at either oxford or cabair"?

is arrant nonsense which even those two schools would never claim - not even their marketing folks who can sometimes lose touch with reality:} :} :}

Rob

fly-dj
17th Oct 2003, 02:03
I am a current intergrated student at cabair in cranfield. About half way through the ATPL and so far have enjoyed my time here.

Cabair are not perfect, but then who is, but they were right for me and I guess the best advice I can give you without opening the whole intergrated vs modular or OAT vs cabair vs BAE vs whoever can of worms is this :
Decide what you want in an FTO and then set all your options against this wish list, pick the one thats best for you and not what other people would have you think for whatever reason.
At the end of the day you will hear many different people with many different views of what the best option is, but its your money and your time so do whats best for you.

Back to Cabair, I have found the instructors both flight and ground school to be very good, most of the aircraft are working most of the time though the good old british weather can sometimes play havoc with the flying program.
But all in all I have found the place to be pretty good and generally good value for money.

Hope that helps and good luck with whatever you decide.

sinsall
17th Oct 2003, 07:27
ok thanks for the advice guys,
yes ther are factors to my my decision and yes it's up2me now,but good to hear from students from cabair.
The general sales pitch has been:
1.Industry poor at the mo but will pick up by the time you finish(handy)!
2.OAT the best for employment prospects unless you are from another country then opt for cabair!!?
3.Dont do a modular as the airlines do not recognise this as a 'real'qualification!only do a full time course.
4.modular the best way to go as you can go at your own pace.

Had some classic lines as well be good to to here others!!

'Flying a cessna gives you the same sensation as being stuck in a boat with 50ft waves'(hmmm tempting) :yuk:

an instructor told me: 'flying is a skill,i often do it with my eyes closed',yikes!!!

'rotary is not flying,its suicide' have you been in one?'no'

FlyingForFun
17th Oct 2003, 16:32
Hi Sinsall,

Will try to go through all your points one by one:1.Industry poor at the mo but will pick up by the time you finish(handy)!If anyone you speak to claims to know when the industry will pick up, then they're obviously in the wrong industry themselves because they'd be fair better off as a clairvoyant! It does seem to be showing signs of picking up, but you must assume that it won't, and have a backup plan in case.2.OAT the best for employment prospects unless you are from another country then opt for cabair!!?I suspect that any employer would rather employ someone who went to a school that suited them, passed everything first time, and is a competent pilot, as opposed to someone who went to <insert your favourite big-name school here> because they heard that "employers like it", then found that the style of the school or the course didn't suit them, lost confidence, and just about scraped through the course. If OAT suits your needs, then use them - but that's the only reason for using them, or any other school.3.Dont do a modular as the airlines do not recognise this as a 'real'qualification!only do a full time courseThere are, apparently, a small number of employers who still hold this belief, which used to be valid under the old CAA system but isn't any more. They are gradually being educated, though, and those who are more in the know than me will, I'm sure, confirm that there are very few of them around now. There is very little reason to do an integrated course as a self-sponsered student, unless you feel that the only way you can pass is to be spoon-fed everything.4.modular the best way to go as you can go at your own paceThat's definitely an advantage of modular. But, if you prefer to have everything laid out for you, then maybe integrated is better for you. You can't give generic answers to this type of question, because everyone is different.'Flying a cessna gives you the same sensation as being stuck in a boat with 50ft waves'(hmmm tempting)Some people like being stuck in a boat with 50ft waves ;)

Good luck!

FFF
---------------