PDA

View Full Version : Radio Discipline

flange lubricator
12th Oct 2001, 18:21
Having read some of the postings on the SAS/Cessna crash at LIN I noted a few comments about communications.

Having had several jump seat trips on my mate's 744 I couldn't help but notice how "relaxed" the radio chat was between Pilots and Controllers. On one trip we followed an Air India 744 out at Heathrow. The tower them instructed us to "follow the Indian" onto the runway takeoff position after he had departed.

Anyway, my point is, being a Railway person messages concerning safety while using the radio are explicitly given.

A train headcode (like a flight number) may be, say 1V50. During a conversation with a signaller we would quote "One Victor Five Zero" EVERY time. AND have it repeated back EVERY time for clarity.

I can't imagine the signaller starting a conversation with "Hello Virgin HST".

Am I missing something through sheer ignorance? Or is radio discipline (especially on the ground during poor visibilty) a contributary factor to these type of accidents? :confused:

Po Boy
12th Oct 2001, 18:26
YAWN!!!!!!!

:p

RICHARDTODD
12th Oct 2001, 18:33
TRAINSPOTTER EH?

NO, THE REFERENCE TO "FOLLOW THE INDIA/INDIAN 747" - IT WOULD BE INAPPROPRIATE TO QUOTE A FLIGHT NUMBER ON R/T BETWEEN COCKPIT CREWS. GIVING TAKE OFF CLEARANCE AND LINEUP PERMISSION IS NOT QUOTED IN REFERENCE TO A FLIGHT NUMBER BUT ADDRESSED TO THE CREW AS THIER RESPECTIVE FLIGHT NUMBER :eek:

flange lubricator
12th Oct 2001, 18:37
No, Train Driver actually!

I see what you mean - Virgin seven etc??

HalesAndPace
12th Oct 2001, 18:43
Hey, give the guy a break! He posed a legitimate and thoughtful question based on what he had seen, and also his current work practices.

Flange, I guess we'll have to wait for detailed examination of the ATC tapes to see if RT was a causal factor. Didn't there always used to be a "rolling" call in poor viz?? My parchment copy of RT procedures is going mouldy, so can't find a reference.

flange lubricator
12th Oct 2001, 18:45
Thanks Hales!

I was almost going to cry!!!!!!!!!! ;)

The Guvnor
12th Oct 2001, 19:09
We always used to give a 'rolling' call with our aircraft - helps with situational awareness of any aircraft coming in behind you.

faq
12th Oct 2001, 19:20
..and is a double check you really have got clearance before you depart

Saint-Ex
12th Oct 2001, 20:10
And this comes from a company who allow drivers to go through one red light as lomg as they stop at the second?????

flange lubricator
12th Oct 2001, 20:25
Ignore this idiot. (Saint-Ex)

EGGW
12th Oct 2001, 20:55
Personally i always ask my colleague to give a rolling call and ask the him also to give a call when airborne, situational awareness is what its all about !!

Saint-Ex
12th Oct 2001, 23:10
Sorry Flange Lubricator, it was a subject of much discussion at a Health and Safety Executive meeting where we were told it was not uncommen. Those in glass houses shouldn`t throw stones.

AyrTC
12th Oct 2001, 23:10
flange check your private message board.
AyrTC :eek:

chiglet
12th Oct 2001, 23:37
FL,
Surely, an RT instruction..."Follow the Indian" cannotbe confused with "follow the Virgin"?
Relaxed, Yes! Unprofessional.....emphatic NO :mad:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

flange lubricator
13th Oct 2001, 01:11
Chiglet

Please, please! Don't be under the impression that I am implying that Pilots are unprofessional.

Having the PRIVILEDGE of the jumpseat on my mate's 744 is in my book (not my trainspotting book) nothing short of awe inspiring.

The guys in seats 1A and 1B are the epitomy of professionalism. My trade could learn a great deal from the Pilot Profession.

I used to be a nervous flyer until I had a trip at the sharp end.

Now I just sit back, relax, and let the plane take the strain!

:D
Saint-Ex

Sorry for being so abrupt.

As a qualified Train Driver in a suit I think I can speak with authority on the subject. No Driver EVER get's out of his or her bed in the morning with the intention of having a SPaD (Signal Passed at Danger). It is THE cardinal sin. It is also the worst feeling of your life (especially if you know that it's you who has f****d up)

My company (or any other) does not "allow" drivers to pass red signal and stop at the next. Though, unfortunately it does happen (very infrequently).

Like the Pilot, the Train Driver (in the UK) has his destiny in his own hands (literally). The days of widespread ATP (Automatic Train Protection) fittment are some way off.

Ever heard of Human Factors? ;)

[ 12 October 2001: Message edited by: flange lubricator ]

Saint-Ex
13th Oct 2001, 02:29
Flange Lubricator.
Quite understand and, of course, Human Factors play an important role. To ignore a red warning in the aviation world is a cardinal sin. However as I watch car drivers ignoring red lights every day I am on the road, I have to wonder if it is an just another example of a lack of discipline prevelant in modern day society.

Scotflight Aviation
13th Oct 2001, 02:44
Flange...I like your style...and the way you stand up for yourself. It's nice to see points of view coming in here from another angle. Keep 'em coming.

Zeitgebers
13th Oct 2001, 15:17
Here Here
Flange Just out of interest, what kind of duty limits are imposed on you ( number of hours you can work ) and are you allowed any discretion to extend them ?
Keep on rollin.

Airbanda
16th Oct 2001, 23:20
Nearest aviation equivalent to a SPAD might be a runway over run. Nobody sets out to do it, sometimes its the pilot/driver who screws up other times circumstances conspire to erode all the built in safety margins.

fadec_primary_channel
17th Oct 2001, 22:59
The general rt discipline in FIR'S is not as good as it good be, the standard of initial calls has been so poor that the caa have issued an AIC 73/2001 (yellow58) 28 sep 2001 that highlights the point. The following is a link to the page.Yellow 58 RTF Discipline (http://www.ais.org.uk/Uk_aip/pdf/aic/4Y058.pdf) ;)

During a recent visit to EGNX during low viz the RT phrases Call rolling and Call Airbourne were both used by controllers everyday, this supports others postings about improving situational awareness.
However this is sometimes only possible at quieter airfields, some operators use a visual check of the approach and the TCAS on every departure, low viz or not.
:confused: Comments anyone including Flange's !!

[ 17 October 2001: Message edited by: fadec_primary_channel ]

Denti
17th Oct 2001, 23:40
Most pilots in our company (at least the guys i flew with) do a visual/TCAS-check of the approach sector at lineup. I learned the callout "approach sector clear" (after check of the sector) during my training with Lufthansa and use it every day. There was even a procedure some time ago to check and identify the runway you are lining up, so some of the older chaps still call out "runway xxx identified" at lineup. Only one captain requests a call to tower "lining up" and "rolling".

DouglasDigby
18th Oct 2001, 01:15
Old habits - still do check of heading/elevation, clear runway, when lined up, ready to go.

Bally Heck
18th Oct 2001, 06:28
Just wondering Flange.

Automatic Train Protection is a very old technology. We pilot chaps have TCAS which has a similar purpose but is I suspect a much newer and cheaper technology. (relatively)

Has any resarch been done using transponder/computer/GPS technology for train protection?