PDA

View Full Version : Problems taxiing into the runway

Steinway
16th Dec 2000, 16:46
I have a questions for pilots : When you enter the runway for take off from the taxiway and line up, is it difficult to control the aircraft making this turn? If you miss the center line, does it take much runway lenght to re-center the aircraft? Can you use power back? Do you sometimes have to exit the runway and start again? Do such problems happen often?
Please excuse my outsider vocabulary...
Thank you for your help

Steinway

alosaurus
16th Dec 2000, 21:44
S-No,nosewheel steering makes line up easy.
Don't miss cl and an allowance is made for line up in performance figures.
Can't power back without man & orange bats.

411A
17th Dec 2000, 03:04
CAPTAINS DO NOT need to realign the aircraft on the centre-line. THAT is what COMMAND is all about. Effos think that they "know" but then that has been their opinion from day one. They must wait their turn, in spite of what thet they THINK they know.

SchmiteGoBust
17th Dec 2000, 06:17
Agreed. Just like 411A I never get ANYTHING wrong and am not atall a pompous twit!!

icemonkey
19th Dec 2000, 07:26
411a,
Must happen though. Wouldn't have aircraft taxi-ing off the tarmac otherwise as in the airtours incident the other week.

Maybe you're more perfect than them and never make a mistake http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

icemonkey

411A
20th Dec 2000, 05:36
If they..."taxied off the tarmac.." then one would be in the grass (or weeds, mud) as in BA country http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

FL390
23rd Dec 2000, 22:19
When the B777 came out a few years ago we had to get used to taxiing because the nosewheel was so far back from the cockpit compared to normal. As a result of this extra tarmac is used to compensate for this.
On the 777-300 cameras are used to help with lining-up as well as it is the longest aircraft in the world, they are very useful!

Now, to taxi-back (not that I ever have to) you can use reverse thrust. The boring pilots only use this to aid slowing at landing, bt the more adventurous of us use it for pushback as well! ;)

[This message has been edited by FL390 (edited 23 December 2000).]

Steinway
23rd Dec 2000, 23:28
Thank you very much for all your interesting answers.

Steinway