PDA

View Full Version : Thielert Centurion 1.7 Diesel Engine.

owwnav
10th Oct 2003, 08:43
I'm in a group who are considering replacing there current engine, which is near its TBO, with a Thielert engine.
I would like to hear from anybody who is flying an aircraft fitted with a Centurion 1.7 engine, particularly anyone flying a Cessna 172.
Issues of concern to us are the;
- General reliability of the engine,
- Performance and cost to operate engine
- Any difficulties with maintenance,
- Level of after sales service from the manufacturer
- any difficulties encountered with the conversion
to the Centurion engine.
- Any limitations experienced.

I would be grateful of any information on the above as it would help us in or deliberations. Please mention the type of aircraft being flown and how many hours flown on the engine. Thanks in advance!!:O

WelshFlyer
11th Oct 2003, 04:52
Your best bet is to ask some one that flys a Diamond. They use the centurion. 172s with this remarkable engine are very few and far between

But there are quite a few Diamonds around with the diesel engine. Ask one of the guys that fly them.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Oct 2003, 05:35
There is no Thielert 172 on the G register yet.

But I know of a man who is in discussion with them to get the first one done and certified.

Drop me a pm if you want me to ask him to get in touch with you.

Ciao

FD

100LL
11th Oct 2003, 08:52
At the moment the Engine is performing well, reliability is good. Maintenance is a piece of cake - Engine oil, Gear oil and 3 filters to change, good look around the engine. Plug in a laptop Carry out a ground run, a diagnostic check and download the data from the ECU's.

After sales from TAE is very good Markus and Mark are excellent.

Pity about para 6.0 tho Diesel Engines in aeroplanes

If you want to convert a 172 speak to Meridian they should give you all the info you need.