PDA

View Full Version : Outbound time corrections, hold and approach.

squeakyunclean
15th Dec 2000, 15:29
Assuming you HAVE to rely on a stopwatch, like say NDB approach at ACE (Lanzarote), how would you adjust the outbound time to account for wind?

I would adjust the outbound time in a standard hold by +/- 1 sec per knot of wind component (w/c). For an approach +/- 1 sec per knot w/c per minute of still air outbound time.

What does everyone else do?

Thanks for sensible replies....

autothrottle
15th Dec 2000, 15:43
Squeekyunclean,
For outbound time corrections deduct 1sec/kt tailwind/2 .
For headwinds use 1sec/kt of headwind component.
For your procedural turn,lets say 1min after transiting the beacon outbound,Stopwatch,turn ,altimeter,radio,descent(if required).Once wings level stopwatch for 45 seconds(you have now completed you 45 degree procedural turn at 3 degrees/sec remember)plus/minus wind.

hope this helps you,

cheers autothrottle

[This message has been edited by autothrottle (edited 15 December 2000).]

squeakyunclean
16th Dec 2000, 02:24
autothrottle,

Thanks for that, I have heard the 1/2 tailwind component one before, it would be interesting to find out which is used more, that is 1/2 or all tailwind comp.

Thanks again

scroggs
16th Dec 2000, 03:21
Actually, I've always used throughout my procedural flying career 1/2 the headwind OR tailwind component, and, since APATC was introduced some years ago, 1min 15secs for the procedural turn, starting the watch as you roll into the 45 degree turn. Drift applied outbound from the turn is twice the drift experienced (allows for the inbound turn). Any other offers?