PDA

View Full Version : JAR-PPL night qualification

genius-747
8th Oct 2003, 23:51
Hello all,

I hold a valid JAR-PPL with a VFR SEP Land rating.

I have been talking to an official from the Irish Aviation Authority who advised me under JAR I cannot get a 'night rating' but I can get a 'night qualification'.... Can anybody please tell me what is the difference between the two?

Also I checked the requirments for VFR night flying in Ireland, and you cannot fly night VFR outside a control zone, but one of the requirmants to obtain a JAR night qualification is a night cross country flight!! maby I am mis understanding something but it seems that is not possible... am I correct?

Any help at all.. thanks lads(and lasses)

P

Mark 1
9th Oct 2003, 00:07
No problems.

A night qualification is just the JAA equivalent of the old night rating.
Requirements are broadly the same:
5 hrs flight time
3 hrs flight instruction including at least 1 hr of x-c
5 solo take-offs and full stop landings.

Your aircraft rating is not "VFR only", you can fly under IFR or VFR as you wish. Its only the flight conditions which are limited by having a basic PPL - not flight rules.

The x-c is conducted under IFR (re. flight level and MSA), but clear of cloud and in sight of the surface.

A lot of fun as long as your not paranoid about engine failure.

Fly Stimulator
9th Oct 2003, 00:13
Mark 1,

You're talking about the UK, but genius is talking about Ireland, and as I discovered in this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102661) things are slightly different there.