PDA

View Full Version : RE: PPL Theory and Practical

jamierwilliams
8th Oct 2003, 00:29
Dear PPRUNE members,

I am seeking advise as to what I should do. I am 14.5 years old and a very keen flyer. I have decided that I should now make a move into starting my PPL course. I do not particularly need to start my practical training until im about 15, so would it be reasonable if I starting attending theory classes. I do have a little flying experience. Should I wait or start some theory now? I have done quite a lot of self study, so with a few lessons I could probably complete the exams. Will these expire before I get my licence or take my first solo at 16. What should I do??

j@mie:D

Evo
8th Oct 2003, 01:45
Go for it. I found most of the exams reasonably interesting (with the exception of Air Law :ugh: ) so I reckon it's a good way to get started.

Only thing to watch is the timing of when you do the exams. All seven must be passed within an 18 month period, after which they remain valid for 24 months from the date of the final pass. As you're 14 1/2 you shouldn't start too early - if you finished them all tomorrow then the passes would expire before you could apply for a licence - but that's not really much of a problem. All the regulations are in Section C of LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=292).

Enjoy! :)

Fly Stimulator
8th Oct 2003, 02:27
I wonder if tKF is starting to feel old now? ;)

Jamie, it sounds as if you may already have done this, but get yourself down to your local airfield and become part of the scene there. You should find plenty of people willing to take you along on flights, explain points of theory, reminisce (often beyond the point of tedium admittedly!) and generally encourage your flying.

A young lad at the club I used to fly with earned lessons in return for washing aircraft for example. He went solo (http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/will.htm) just after his 16th birthday; would have been on the day had it not been for the British weather.