PDA

View Full Version : Dispatched to Dover

Tex
7th Oct 2003, 07:08
I write for some various US aviation type magazines and, sometimes, a newspaper. I wrote this commentary last week, after I returned from my trip featured in this commentary.

This commentary will be published in a US magizine, but I wish to share it with all of my friends at PPRUNE.

Dispatched to Dover

Recently I was flying a trip pattern that was a US Air Force CRAF (Civilian Reserve Augmentation Fleet) contract. The three-day pattern was scheduled to Depart Dover Air Force Base for Ramstein Air Force Base, and then on to McGuire Air Force Base. On the third day of our pattern, and after a restful over-night in the Ramstein, Germany area, we arrived at Ramstein Operations to discover the we were dispatched to Dover instead of McGuire. Because it is not unusual for the Air Force to change a pattern for their needs, we didn't think much of it until we saw the weight of our cargo. It was such a light load. What's the deal? We decided to give the dispatcher a call to check the accuracy of the load.

We did call our World-Wide Control Center, as they like to be called, and found the re-routing to be correct, with one annotation. The annotation was HR, which means human remains. The only cargo we were to carry on this trip would be the remains of a US Army Captain killed in Iraq, his personal property, and some stacked, empty cargo pallets.

As we climbed the stairs to reach the main deck of our airplane, we noticed how much higher it stood compared to the usually more loaded configuration. As we entered the main deck, we were all soberly choked with emotion at the sight of our cargo. We looked into the cavernous interior of our Boeing 747 freighter and observed the US flag draped casket and a crated box of personal property secured near the side cargo door. All three of us stood there silently for a moment, all three of us taken aback at what we saw. Then as quickly as we halted in our tracks, we returned to our duties to get the cargo to its destination. Professionals doing our jobs the best way we know and to the best of our abilities.

It was my leg to fly to Dover, and an uneventful one at that. Although the weather in Dover was beautiful at our arrival, I chose to do a practice VOR instrument approach, with the MDA (Minimum Descent Altitude) of 400 feet above the ground. Looking back on it in reflection, I'm sure it was a sight to see this lumbering, huge airplane banking to final at 400 feet above the ground. I made an unusually smooth landing for a near empty airplane, as light airplanes are harder to get a smooth landing in than when they are loaded. I was feeling pretty cocky about my flying ability until I started following the FOLLOW ME truck and remembered what my cargo was. I thought to myself, "That Army-trained bit of airmanship was in your honor, Captain, for your final flight home." We taxied into our spot, exited the airplane to go to the Customs and Immigration station, and then returned to our airplane before the Honor Guard arrived.

As we re-entered our airplane, a very sharp looking protocol officer met us. The Air Force Major wore his battle dress uniform so well, and with obvious pride in his duty. The Major began to explain military custom to us, but was interrupted by our flight's Captain. Our Captain pointed to me and told the Major that I was an active Army National Guard CW4 Aviator. He then pointed to our Engineer and stated that he is a retired Air Force E8 crewmember. Then he finally told the Major the he was a former US Army Drill Sergeant. The Major shook our hands as if relieved from the duty of explaining drill and ceremony, and invited us to stand in the detail formation. We looked at each other. One can only imagine how wrinkled our uniforms were after 10 hours of duty and eight hours of flight. However, we tucked in our shirt-tales and buttoned-up the best we could and stood in the detail formation during the prayer ceremony held aboard our airplane.

To begin the prayer ceremony, A US Army Brigadier General flew into Dover Air Force Base in a glossy green and white VIP painted US Army UH-1 helicopter. The General boarded our airplane and stood at the head of the casket during the prayer, said by a US Army Chaplain. At the end of the prayer, the General bent over the casket and said, "Thank you for your service to our country and for your sacrifice. Welcome home."

The Honor Guard took the casket off of the airplane, as we all stood at attention, saluting. As the ambulance drove away with the casket, the Air Force Major dismissed the detail. Then suddenly, and seemingly unplanned, the Major called the detail back to attention because he saw the General was making his way back to our airplane. He stated in a low voice that he believed the General was returning to thank us.

We stood at attention and I could faintly hear the Major tell the General whom we were. The General stood in front of us, individually, and thanked us for bringing the Captain home, and shook our hands as he thanked us.

I truly believe the General was thankful for us taking the time to stand in the detail formation for the ceremony. That is why he made the special effort to climb back up those stair steps to re-enter our airplane before he walked accross the ramp to his waiting helicopter.

It is all a part of our job, contracting to the military. We transport new equipment into the theater of operation, and we bring back broken or destroyed equipment. Occasionally, and all to often, we bring back a fallen brother or sister on their final flight home. Was it by a coincidence or by a supreme being's design that this particular, and appropriate crew had been put together for this final flight home? Believe in what you wish, but believe me in this, if you have a loved one or know of someone that we have brought back home, we do it with honor and absolute respect. Although, we prefer to never bring anyone home on his or her final flight.

zed3
9th Oct 2003, 21:34
Tex,.....Thanks for posting that , brings one back down to earth . Working at 'Maastricht' we handle many of these military flights.....now we know what some of them are.

PPRuNe Pop
9th Oct 2003, 23:20
I had thought of moving this post to a more appropriate forum but I don't believe I will.

I don't mind saying that the poignancy of the post bought a lump to my throat. It stays here for crews to see. Some of whom will have been in a similar position.

Good you, guys.

Tex
11th Oct 2003, 07:18
zed3,

You hear a lot of Giant callsigns out of Ramstein. I think that I have lost my Texas accent, but if you think you hear me, say hello.

PPRuNe Pop,

Thank you. I was going to sell this commentary, as I usually do, to a US aviation rag. However, as I was writing it, I got a little water in my eyes and decided to donate it to the Association of the United States Army "ARMY" magazine. It should be in the November or December issue. Thanks for reading my post.