PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Career

chapers
6th Oct 2003, 23:05
Hey Guys, I'm really interested in becoming a commerical pilot. I am currently doing my first year at college, studying physics, maths, biology and P.E. I want to know what I do after in order to head in the right direction and to pursue my dream. I'm not sure if I have to get a degree at university (if so then in what?) And also how I can start and to get involved in flying. So I would really appreciate it if you guys five me some feedback on this, It would really help. Cheers.... Rob.

Wireless
7th Oct 2003, 00:06
Hey There!

What kind of flying do you intend on doing?

If you want to fly in England for an Airline then you need to see if you can pass the Class 1 medical before going any further with flying for a living. For this you need to visit epaullette central down in Gatwick (The CAA) Where they poke and prod you to see if you fit the bill. This costs £411!

The standards are far lower for recreational flying and they tend to be more "user friendly" for American licences. But I would say checking out the medical side of things would be a good place to start if you're serious, as would having a go at flying a light aircraft. Even a 747 Skipper started on light aircraft!

Bill

chapers
7th Oct 2003, 04:04
Hey, I intend (and hope) to fly for a British airline, since I am English. Why so much for a medical!? I've flown a Cessna last year in America, so thats quite handy. I'm quite busy with college at the moment so I don't have much time to look for a place where I can get some hours under my belt. Anyway...I'll take your advice...thanks....Rob.

Squak2002
7th Oct 2003, 20:30
Why so much for a medical!?

Chapters,

That's only the start of it mate. Flying costs the same as it did 30 years ago....... everything you have!!

If you don't mind being in constant debt, then aviation is the career for you.

Jinkster
7th Oct 2003, 21:05
Squak2002

Agreed!!!!