PDA

View Full Version : Leased aircraft and modifications

eagerbeaver
6th Oct 2003, 20:59
What is the rule for operators that lease aircraft with regards to modifications to the aircraft they operate?

e.g an airline who leases a particular aircraft wants to retro-fit winglets? Do they need the lease companies permission? I am talking any mods airframe and internal (e.g new 21st century coffee machine or IFE)

747FOCAL
6th Oct 2003, 21:12
It would be specified in the contract as to the configuration of the aircraft that will be returned at lease end. I cannot see why a lessor would tell you no if the changes you requested were only going to hand them back a better aircraft for free though. :)

eagerbeaver
6th Oct 2003, 22:28
agreed but i ask only because the airline does not own the aircraft and the obvious implications - the lessor might not want mods done on the aircraft as it will involve paperwork and inspections a new CofA i presume???

ferrydude
6th Oct 2003, 23:51
There is no hard and fast "rule" Any Lessor will be amenable to properly documented and installed mods that will not detract from the hulls base value.

604guy
7th Oct 2003, 05:11
Our a/c are leased. We have made mods to them. As others have pointed out it depends on the contract. Ours is with a large leasing company that has a/c all over the world and the contract is quite clear on this matter. In short, advise ahead of time, has to be in accordance with OEM specs or STC etc and thank you very much when you hand back added value.