PDA

View Full Version : Post SARS: Cathay Pacific logo light is back on

B-HLQ
5th Oct 2003, 21:46
The logo light is on in the photo, does CX pilots allow to turn them back on?
Due to SARS, as part of costs cutting, CX pilots were not allowed the turn the logo light on at any time.
The photo is taken at YYZ on 1 October 2003.

My first post in here, hope i posted this in the right topic.

DownwindToRoll
5th Oct 2003, 22:08
Someone has got to tell me how turning a light off cuts the running costs of the aircraft by any real value ?

:=

DTR

busconductor
6th Oct 2003, 13:16
More likely a security measure???

Traffic
6th Oct 2003, 16:19
Now that Jacques Chretien has made the smoking of hallucinatory substances compulsory in Canada it has become SOP to illuminate the tail in the hope it will reduce the chances of getting a big fat ugly aeroplane up your APU.

No, seriously B-HLQ, everyone has been on such a short fuse lately that maintenance did not want to overload the electrical system. Now that things have calmed down a tad, the whole panel is fair game for the fidgety fingers of the SO's.

Really...isn't there something more interesting to discuss, or are you just trying to dob someone in?

Liam Gallagher
6th Oct 2003, 17:28
Read in Pravda a few months back that the bulb replacement costs were HKD500,000 pa. Engineering asked Marketing who shrugged their shoulders and pointed at FOP's who said "turn-out the lights"......

One cynic on the FlightDeck commented (and there are few!!) something about the Hyde Park railings during WWII.

B-HLQ
6th Oct 2003, 19:44
No im not trying to dob someone in, i thought this was a discussion board and still is. Since SARS, circumstances have changed, CX is on its way to recover and i believe the logo light will be on one day. The reason i posting here was trying to ask someone who know the policy for the answer. Seriously whoever reckon people are trying to dob someone in made an very immature comment. As you may have aware of that, im a fan of CX, you can tell from my nickname.

Denzil
6th Oct 2003, 22:21
It's not always as easy (or as cheap) as replacing a filament, it could be a the filament holder or wiring and as many will know the MEL allows the logo light to be inop. As a short term cost saving it makes a lot of sense.

Schrodingers Cat
7th Oct 2003, 00:47
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....................................:zz z: :zzz: :zzz:

Traffic
7th Oct 2003, 10:08
SC

Lucky you.

For me its nnggghh...ssss....nngggh.....ssss

:zzz: :zzz: :sad: :zzz: :zzz: :sad: :zzz: :zzz: :hmm:

jungly
10th Oct 2003, 23:29
According to SCMP logo lights cost US$100,000 per year.
I asked and found out that logo lights cost US$40 each.

Thats 2500 logo lights per year! Or 32 logo lights per year, per aircraft...ie: a new logo light every 12 days PER ACFT.

IF (!!!!) this is fact........then surely Messers Airbus and Boeing should be fired for supplying such crap kit!

Me, thinks the facts are getting in the way of a good (or not so god in fact) story.

Anon

SeldomFixit
11th Oct 2003, 22:03
USD 40 + equipment + manpower + inventory cost + the list goes on. Whoever decided to turn them off is responsible for one of the few clever decisions.