PDA

View Full Version : ATPLs Last?

rich49
3rd Oct 2003, 00:58
Hi all,
I was wondering why the ATPLs are always done before the CPL? Would it not be possible to go through the training up to CPL and IR, then whilst holding a job as a flight instructor or charter pilot, do the ATPL's distance learning then? At least you would be in a flying environment, I would find studying for ATPLs whilst working in say, an office harder than working for them as a flight instuctor. Also, the 4K spent on getting the ATPLs could be spent on the CPL, so getting a flying job sooner, meaning that I would be more experienced wereas flying hours are concerned.
Thanks

FlyingForFun
3rd Oct 2003, 01:02
Rich,

Before getting a CPL, you must have completed either the CPL exams or the ATPL exams. Before getting an IR, you must have completed either the IR exams or the ATPL exams.

So, to do what you're suggesting, you'd need to do both the CPL exams and the IR exams. There is considerable overlap between the two, and you'd end up doing more work than is required for the ATPL exams. Then, afterwards, you'd have to do the ATPL exams, which would effectively be duplicating all the exams you've done already.

So yes, it is possible, but it would be a completely impractical, if not totally ridiculous, way of doing things.

FFF
----------------

rich49
3rd Oct 2003, 03:34
Ah ok, I did not realise that! Thanks for the help FFF!

hughey
4th Oct 2003, 14:06
CPL theory can be completed in approx 4 months or maybe less. Starting ATPL from scratch is approx 1 year full time theory. If you need to continue working to fund this then do the CPL first and the ATPL by correspondance. At least you will be in a flying environment whilst studying for ATPL (If you are fortunate enough to find a job). Then study for ATPL, yes you will sit more exams but find a way that suits your lifestyle and finances. The industry is full of "Has to be done this way." There is nothing ridiculous about your suggestion.

Hughey.

Keith.Williams.
5th Oct 2003, 03:12
One thing that you might wish to consider is the fact that the CPL/IR training is far more costly than the ATPL groundschool. Very few students have been unable to pass the ATPL exams (although some have taken a number of attempts). But I have known none who have passed the ATPL exams then been unable to pass the CPL/IR flying tests. Overall it is probably safer to do the less expensive part of the training first.

Send Clowns
7th Oct 2003, 05:22
Hughey

That is not quite accurate. The ATPL theory requires only 6 months of study in the UK (though I believe Spanish schools run 12-month courses). The CPL groundschool could I am sure be completed in 4 months and then work as an instructor could be paid but little else. An IR would require some study, so no time is saved and there are more eams for the CPL plus separate IR than for the ATPL. Of course anyone sitting hte CPL and IR eams would then require the ATPL course to be issued an ATPL. I was advised employers in airline also much prefer ATPL exam passes even for FOs.