PDA

View Full Version : FAA Instrument Rating

cebaines
3rd Oct 2003, 00:39
I have a JAR FCL PPL. I recently went to do some pleasure flying in the US so got a USA PPL. Whilst there I noticed that at this particular school, there full USA Instrument Rating was $4500. That is a huge difference from the UK £10K.

Can someone tell me is there any advantages of doing the FAA IR, then "upgrading" to JAA IR???

Many thanks all

dorosenco
3rd Oct 2003, 00:55
cebaines,

Doing you FAA IR will save you some money on the short term but converting it to JAA will cost you ~6,000 pounds.

You do the math ... Check my website www.passion2fly.com regarding FAA IR and IR Conversion to JAA.

Good Luck,
:ok:

Ninety-Nines
3rd Oct 2003, 02:27
A great deal of people complete the FAA IR in the US as this allows the student to complete the JAA IR in a 15 hour course.
Although I would always recommend that the student budget for 20 hours back in the land of JAA, a recent quote based on 17 hours, 10 of which in the FNPT II was £4,330. Any additional hours would be charged pro rata.

It is just another way to attain the IR, but you get the two licences for the same price, if not less. Dependant on which direction you are taking, there are many more operators in Europe using US registered aircraft where the FAA IR would be an advantage. Just this month I have seen 4 JAA ATPL's tranferring to FAA for their jobs in the UK.

Good luck with your training.......even though the IR is hard work, I definintely think IR flying is the most rewarding and fun!

dorosenco
3rd Oct 2003, 06:30
only one comment Ninety-Nines,

You will also need an FAA CPL if you want a job flying a N-reg aircraft.
Also,
Do not forget the 607 pounds to the CAA for your IR ticket (to add to your initial cost estimate)...