PDA

View Full Version : Virgin To Fly At Kittyhawk

BAengCPL2
2nd Oct 2003, 06:51
I've heard that as BA Eng can't suuport a Concorde going to Kittyhawk for the 100th Celebrations on Dec 17th Virgin are going to send one of their 747s or A340s

Anybody in Virgin Eng know if its true?

Anti Skid On
2nd Oct 2003, 10:17
Should have been at the real celebrations in NZ earlier this year celebrating the true pioneer, Richard Pearce!

Hand Solo
2nd Oct 2003, 21:07
Its hardly a surprise that BA can't support sending a Concorde on Dec 17th given that the aircraft will have been withdrawn from service 7 weeks earlier! Somehow I don't think a 747 or A340 will have quite the same draw.

strafer
2nd Oct 2003, 21:23
Should have been at the real celebrations in NZ earlier this year celebrating the true pioneer, Richard Pearce!
So that would have made it sometime in the 1850s New Zealand time?;)

Golf Charlie Charlie
2nd Oct 2003, 21:29
What does "fly at Kittyhawk" actually mean ? The site of the Wright Brothers' flights is just a small patch of grass - there's nowhere nearby for heavy metal to fly to (unless Norfolk or NAS Oceana to the north).... A flypast ?

gordonroxburgh
2nd Oct 2003, 22:10
I in had heard the opposite, that in fact BA were looking at ensuring that the final ever Concorde flight, when an Aircraft would be delivered to a US museum would be on Dec17th, and incorportate the celebratiosns taking place at Kitty Hawk

Iron City
3rd Oct 2003, 02:00
Well GCC, there is First Flight airport at the site owned by the Park Service...If you can't get it into a 3,000' by 35' strip (no lights, no fuel) then try Manteo (Dare County NC) or Elizabeth City NC CGAS and colocated civil airport. There is still one blimp hanger left, same as the one at Lakehurst NJ, though the other one burnt down awhile ago.

There are plenty of big static displays and air shows around, but only one place where The Brothers really started it all.