PDA

View Full Version : Nice Florida airports/ destinations

18greens
1st Oct 2003, 18:21
I'm going to be doing a bit of flying from Orlando next month.

Anyone recommend some nice airports with things to do within a day of Orlando at spamcan speeds.

I know Key west looks like a nice trip. Can anyone advise on a nice pretty route?

2Donkeys
1st Oct 2003, 18:30
Key West is very nice.

Assuming that you don't want to risk getting your feet wet, there isn't a huge choice of routes. Just follow the Keys along past Marathon and you can' miss Key West. Take a taxi into downtown and chill out.

Some photos of a recent visit CLICK HERE (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2295&highlight=key+west)

Kirstey
1st Oct 2003, 20:51
If you miss KW, you're pretty b*ggered! next stop Cuba! Kendall Tamiami is a nice field 2 parallel runways and a nice flight from Orlando down Miami beach at 1000ft.

CSX001
1st Oct 2003, 22:19
People seem to be coming up a bit short here.

How about Naples - try Michelbobs ribshack near the airport

or Venice - try Sharkey's by the pier

or Fort Lauderdale Exec - for the beach

or Kissimmee for the Flying Tigers Museum

or Lakeland for the steakhouse

or the Bahamas - easier than you would think.

or Daytona - to visit the raceway

or St Augustine - very very pretty old world place.

The landscape is dead boring, but there is no shortage of great places to go.

Charlie
x

S-Works
1st Oct 2003, 22:22
Any other suggestions for good flying? I am going to Florida on Saturday and have talked to Pelican flying just outside of Fort lauderdale about rentals.

What is the airpspace like around there and what options do I have for some overnight touring?

X

FlyingForFun
1st Oct 2003, 22:27
While we're on the subject of Florida, I hope you don't mind if I take the thread onto a bit of a tangent?

Can anyone recommend a float-plane school anywhere near Fort Pierce/Vero Beach? I will be spending 3 weeks there in November, and although I'm not quite sure whether I'll have enough spare time, I would like to try to get a few float-plane lessons in, and maybe even get the rating, if time allows.

FFF
--------------

CSX001
1st Oct 2003, 22:32
The obvious place to go is Jack Brown's over at Winterhaven, but that is quite a trek by land over from Vero Beach. It would be an easy hop by plane though. Why not fly over to them and do a couple of hours with them before flying back.

It's a lot of fun.

I think I'm going to get the rating next time I go out there.

Charlie

knobbygb
1st Oct 2003, 23:22
Have to second Venice - and Sherkeys. Also Naples, but there's not that much around the airfield. If down that neck of the woods, go into Everglades Airpark (http://www.collierairports.com/Everglades/Everglades%20Airpark.htm) (X01) 28nm SE of Naples, on the coast. It's a smallish runway (2400ft) and the field is usually deserted. It's a leisurely 10 minute walk through the woods into town (Evergaldes City) where good breakfasts and lunches can be had, also boat tours of the surrounding islands (tourist boats stop at the end of the runway to watch you land).

I never made it down the Keys, but I agree Kendall Tamiami is a nice field with a good resteraunt nearby (can't remember the name).

The Book "The FLYER guide to flying in Florida" by Phil Stone is a very worthwhile read, with about 30 of the best fields in Florida listed with photos, along with details of local resteraunts and attractions, including aviation museums.

54.98N
2nd Oct 2003, 04:25
Hmm lets see,

From memory...

Saint Augustine (nice aerobatic stuff based there - Extra dealer??)
River Ranch - great restauraunt/hotel (closed now??)
Crystal River - great small airport
Keystone
Key West (already previously mentioned)
Titusville Executive (great diner!)

These are some that I enjoyed visiting, but there are more airports than you can shake a stick at, just take off and visit them!

Happy flying.

Flyin'Dutch'
2nd Oct 2003, 04:30
As Charlie said: Jack Brown's place is great. Oldy worldy feel and great floatplane flying.

Even Sharon who normally sees flying as a means to an end enjoyed it very much.

FD

GRP
2nd Oct 2003, 05:01
My favourite spot from my last trip was Cedar Key - a couple of miles offshore and about 70 miles north of Tampa. Lovely runway - shortish at 2000 feet with water at each end. Short taxi ride into the little town on the next island where a good number of the cars on the road seemed to be of the vintage american variety.

If you do go there.... watch out for sand when parking on the side of the runway. Don't ask me why I might say that!!

Going to Florida again in three weeks time, this time to Naples so I am hoping to get to Key West. Has anybody done that particular route and if so which way did you go?

2Donkeys
2nd Oct 2003, 05:44
I went from Naples to Key West a couple of months ago. Since I wanted an easy life, I filed IFR and simply flew down the airway. Miami centre changed their minds a couple of times about which airways routing they wanted us to follow but it all ended up pretty hassle free and easy.

If you are going VFR, you could do a lot worse than simply following the West coast around to the keys. It is very very pretty and not particularly navigationally challenging :D

2D

Sir George Cayley
2nd Oct 2003, 14:08
If you get as far as Lakeland carry on west a bit to Kermit Weeks place near Polk City - Unbelievable museum!

Just south of Naples is Marco Island on the edge of the Everglades. At the end of the apron is a sign saying beware of aligators!

St Pete's Beaches are typical Gulf Coast with a number of places to land in the vicinity

Sir George Cayley

PhilD
2nd Oct 2003, 15:14
GRP

I did the Naples to Key West trip VFR last year, it was one of the best days flying I've done. From Naples I routed towards Miami, roughly following the highway across the everglades, then turned right as I approached the Class B, and just followed the Keys down to EYW. ATC advised me to keep to the east of the highway to provide separation with traffic coming the other way, and just before EYW they routed me 5 miles offshore to keep away from the navy air station, but overall there are no problems with this route and you will get flight following all the way. It took me about 2.5 hours in a 172 rented from NAC.

On the way back I spoke to a few people at the FBO to get some ideas, and on their advice flew up the east coast past Miami under the Class B, 500' and 1/2 mile offshore. I'd highly recommend doing this if you can, as it gives you a great view of the Miami shore. No need to get clearance or even speak to Miami as long as you stay outside the Bravo.

I'd also get to Cedar Key if you can - it's one of the more eccentric places to fly to in Florida.

GRP
2nd Oct 2003, 16:11
Sounds good to me. I'll be hopefully in the NAC Arrow IV. Looking at the route around the coast that terrain looks a little uninviting in the unlikely event.... seems you'd be faced with the choice of ditching offshore a little way or ploughing into the mangrove swamps and taking your chances with the local wildlife!

I like the sound of a low level pass of Miami. It looks like you can fly straight up the channel between Miami itself and Miami Beach at 1000 feet. That seems not to be breaking any rules! Am I missing something on this chart?

FlyingForFun
2nd Oct 2003, 17:00
Charlie - thanks, I'll look into Jack Brown's (and thanks to FD for seconding them too!) A preliminary google search has found a few people talking about them, but no website or details. Do you have a link?

(Also, silly question time - where is Winterhaven? Am I right in thinking it's in or near Miami? That would be a little too far to drive, and whether I can fly or not will depend on whether I left the paperwork to get my FAA license sorted out too late - d'oh!)

FFF
----------------

FlyingForFun
2nd Oct 2003, 19:58
Ok - scrap the last request, I found their website. If anyone else is looking for it, it's at http://www.gate.net/~seaplane

FFF
----------------

Blind lemon
2nd Oct 2003, 20:02
Flying For Fun

Winterhaven is off Highway 92, 45 Miles Southwest of Orlando
and 45 miles East of Tampa. Miami is quite a bit further away

I too can thoroughly recommend Jack Browns. I was there earlier this year and will be back there again this winter enjoying Florida sunshine.

Fantasy of Flight Museum at Polk City is also worth checking out
Its just down the road from Winterhaven and is located just off Interstate 4 Junction 44.

:D :D :D

jayemm
2nd Oct 2003, 20:13
I definitely recommend Cedar Keys if you like out of the way, quiet and beautiful spots. I liked it so much, I went twice. Unicom is an Oldsmobile taxi that comes to pick you up, and the place is quaint and quiet. Good food to be had at a restaurant (all wood) on a small pier (I can't remember the name, but there are only a couple anyway).

Also, why not try the NASA flight down the shuttle runway. Maybe they've stopped doing this since 9/11, but it used to be a 'must do' for Florida flying.

By the way, large parts of Florida are covered in trees, often indistinctive and very flat (obviously), with high masts scattered all over the place, especially south and west of Orlando and over towards Tampa. Take care if you find the cloud-base lowering below 1,500'!

Have fun, it's great flying there.

PhilD
2nd Oct 2003, 20:15
GRP

When I was there I asked the question ' if I was flying down the coast with the everglades on one side and the sea on the other and the engine stopped then should I take my chances with the alligators or the sharks'. Apparently the answer is to go for the sharks as they are less likely to be interested in you, and also because you will be easier to spot in the sea. Apparently you can ditch in the everglades and be very difficult to see from the air.

Personally I try not to play too many 'what if' games as I think if you did this you would not fly at all but would stay at home wrapped in cotton wool. Just go for it and have a good time!

On a brighter note I can't answer the Miami question until I get home and check the sectional.

S-Works
13th Oct 2003, 20:20
Back in from a weeks flying in Florida. I flew with Pelican Aviation at North Perry Airport south of Fort Lauderdale. A British run school who run a fleet of Cessna's and Diamond DA20's. They also have a beutiful Diamond DA40 4 Seat with full IFR Garmin Avionics and stormscope which I used for the week.

I can't say enough about Pelican, they were incredibly helpful and friendly and made the whole experiance a trip to remember. Rental involved a 1 hour checkout and very through briefing on local rules. During the week I did 13 hours of flight visiting the Keys, Naples and best of all Kennedy Space Centre. The Pelican staff and CFI Roy gave me advice on routing and flight planning, nothing was too much trouble.

Everywhere we flew was free and everyone was very helpfull. Flying instrument approaches for fun was a breeze and free! The Americans actually encourage you to stay current.

Prices for aircraft rental wet started at $65 for a 152 upto $170 for the DA40. The DA40 was new and worth every cent.

In fact I was so impressed with them that I enrolled on my Commercial Licence with them while I was out there and return in the new year to complete it!

For a school with good aircraft and excellant staff you will find it hard to beat. Anyone who wants details feel free to PM me.

Bose

:ok:

mad_jock
13th Oct 2003, 22:11
the space tour is pretty good fun if its still on.

Try it during the day then at night its brillant.

If you want to go round NASA space center its about 25$ ride from the airport.

Cedar Key is my favorite as well. Just watch which way the winds blowing when you go in. Some bright spark has put the orange sausage under tree cover and there is water at both ends.

Everglades is fun especially if there is a xwind (which is normal) and don't be scared when you come into land and things (with lots of teeth) move off into the water.

MJ

Grafter
14th Oct 2003, 02:16
Going into St Pete's at night is quite spectacular..............

Pop into wings and wheels (http://www.wingsandwheelsfl.com/) at Winterhaven at get yourself a flight in a 1944 Stearman :D

Grafter

BigEndBob
14th Oct 2003, 05:42
Fly Orlando to the Bahamas.
Did it last month all the way down to Turks and Caicos.
Orl exec to West Palm Beach 1.5 hours,
Then the first island is 60 miles out to sea, just like going to Jersey.
Now out of season, beaches deserted, sea like bath water.
Become Robinson Crusoe for a few days!

see www.bahamas.com and www.flying.bahamas.com

Once there you will not want to come back.

In fact Stella Maris resort have aircraft for hire based on the island. We are thinking next year of taking commercial flights to islands then rent aircraft whilst there.