PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeve

B737YYC
30th Sep 2003, 15:39
I am curious why is the phrase "positive climb" used?? A climb by it's very nature is positive is it not. This seems to be a UK thing.

At my company and most others I am aware of in N America the phrase used is "positive rate", short for "positive rate of climb" which more accurately describes what is occurring.

Things that make you go Hmmmmm.:confused: :confused:

LEM
30th Sep 2003, 15:57
That's not only a UK thing.
Academically you are right, but it's just a tradition which doesn't deserve heavy thinking.
:zzz:

longarm
30th Sep 2003, 17:56
And surely a "positive rate of climb" is just as illogical as positive climb ? Would it not otherwise be a negative rate of climb for which you could use the word descent.

tunneler
30th Sep 2003, 22:27
I was under the impression that calling "Positive Climb" meant that the aircraft was climbing away happily and had replaced "Positive Rate" to eliminate the possibility of raising the gear when the VSI was showing a false climb. Think the thought behind it was to ensure that the VSI and Altimiters had been cross checked.

Shoot me down if im wrong but thats what they told me.

kepor
1st Oct 2003, 02:06
My understanding is the same as tunneler's.

LEM
1st Oct 2003, 04:05
It depends on where the static ports are located... the altimeter indication could be misleading too, as the nose would be rising (static ports located on the nose) with the undercarriage still on the ground...

It takes a bit of good common sense to make sure you really left the ground.

Miserlou
1st Oct 2003, 04:35
The above replies are correct in that the 'positive' means definite, confirmed.

It's not actually the position of the static ports which creates the false descent at rotation. I believe the cause is position error.

Furthermore the same call is also used in the missed approach procedure where the aircraft must first arrest the descent and start to climb. The VSI may lag a little at this point thus the climb must be verified by at least two instruments. This also checks their servicability.

Back to thread topic......Pet peeve, comtrollers who always have to have the last word (very often female)!

kepor
1st Oct 2003, 06:20
You should also check the rad alt.