PDA

View Full Version : work rules in EEC

noflow
30th Sep 2003, 03:21
If you have citizenship or right to live and work in a EU country, can you work in other EU countries as well?

Scottie
30th Sep 2003, 15:53
Yep, we had an Australian of Italian descent working in the UK.

josephshankes
1st Oct 2003, 03:55
BIK_116.80

"For example, a non-EU citizen who is the spouse of an EEA national can live and work in any EEA country. Spouse of EEA National visas are issued under EU law." Tell that to immigration at LHR terminal 1.

Not so for working in the UK.

The spouse i.e. EU national must move to the UK, be established in employment and of course accomadation. Then the British embassy, in whatever country they spouse comes from will interview both parties. Upon a successful outcome from the interview, the non EU national will be given a stamp in the passport for 1 year (renewable) leave to reside and accept employment in the UK, provided the spouse remains in the UK.

Believe me I have had 1st hand experience at this one, 3 years ago.

Can't blame the Brits. It's called job protection. The yanks have a similiar system.

josephshankes
1st Oct 2003, 20:44
Thanks for the website.

Seems they have eased up on the rules abit, since I last lock horns with them. Good show.

Scottie
2nd Oct 2003, 05:30
I stand corrected :cool: Interesting thread though.

noflow
3rd Oct 2003, 02:22
Thanks to those of you who responded. I may be in a situation where I could hold dual citizenship and the possibility of living and working in Europe at some point in the future is very appealing. I've always enjoyed the people and culture on the "other" continent.