PDA

View Full Version : spinners

RUDAS
29th Sep 2003, 21:53
Anyone got any idea why there are so many different designs painted on jet engine spinners? Ive noticed that with the exception of rolls royce engines, and the cfm ones on airbus and ng 737s,there are so many differing spiral designs on spinners.Anyone got any idea why? Surely one spiral is just the same as the next?

DBate
30th Sep 2003, 06:16
I don't know why there are so many different designs on the spinners, but I don't think it makes any difference.

I was told that the spinners where painted, so that birds could see the running engines on prop engines years ago.
Nowadays the engine RPMs are so high, that birds can't see a running engine any more.

I'm standing to be corrected.
So long, DBate

LEM
30th Sep 2003, 16:06
Painting on spinners help ground people being aware of engine turning or not.

The difference in painting design has got the same relevance of you liking black painting on your car and me liking a white one.

Spiral designs are funnier, I think... ;)

simfly
30th Sep 2003, 16:16
Painting on spinners help ground people being aware of engine turning or not.

Are ear defenders really that good?? :p

DanAir1-11
30th Sep 2003, 17:33
Simfly, on the ramp there are many, many sources of noise that combine to produce somewhat of a cacophony. APU whine is no exception and contributes to a 'blanket' of noise that you tend to shut-out automatically if you spend much time in this environment.
Also, any-one who has ever been up-close and personal to an A/C like the BAC1-11 (alas no more!) with or without the hush kits, will attestify to the terrific blast of noise that they are capable of even whilst taxiing, which can drown out almost anything in the immediate vicinity, even another a/c with engine(s) running.

lomapaseo
1st Oct 2003, 10:13
The ramp is a very busy place and folks are in a hury to get to the cargo so as to offload and get it to the passengers before they start whining louder than the engines.

The rush can not start until the engines are turned off. Since nearby aircraft are still whining the quickest way to tell that the engine on your aircraft have been switched off and are spooling down is to visually see the change in motion of the slow moving spiral at the center of the spinner.

Hwel
2nd Oct 2003, 16:30
though you really should wait for the crew to turn off the red beacon.