PDA

View Full Version : QXC Sunday 28th

Dewdrop
29th Sep 2003, 20:15
The morning was cool but bright. I arrived at the club just after 9 am. I had completed my route plan weeks before but had been beaten by the weather twice, the Notams showed nothing of concern and the winds were VRB/5…perfect. The plan had been to complete the pre-flight brief and paperwork and be gone by 10.30am. My route was Ronaldsway in the Isle of Man to Carlisle, then on through the Lake District to Blackpool with the final leg from Blackpool across the Irish sea back to the Island.
The last job was to give a final check to the TAFS and METARs at Carlisle and Blackpool and then I could be on my way, thats when I came down to earth with a bump, Carlisle was fogged out with a cloud base of 300ft, nothing to do but wait and wait and wait. Finally at 12.30pm the cloud base at Carlisle had crept up to 3500ft and I was on my way.

Climbing out to 3000ft the flight across the Irish sea was uneventful and coasting in across the wind farm between Workington and Whitehaven I was please to see the cloud base was as promised, and the visibility was fantastic in the cool air. My approach to Carlisle was a little high but in the still air there was no problem in coaxing the C172 down to an “ok” landing.

Carlisle is a pleasant little airport which is crying out for investment, the people there were very helpful and after a quick trip up to the tower to have my piece of paper signed and stamped I was on my way again. Note to self…. should have brought a Hi Viz vest along with me !

The views down through the lake district were fantastic, though I don’t think I enjoyed them as much as I could have as I concentrated on my NAV. Switching to Blackpool I was requested to approach via Poulton avoiding the two active parachute dropping zones along the way… frantic scanning of the chart then ensued. I turned towards the “tall tower” and it soon became apparent just how manic Blackpool can become on a sunny Sunday afternoon. ATC were simply brilliant and I take my hat off to the skill they displayed at a very busy time.

Once on the ground I taxied to the pumps for fuel, had my QXC form stamped and signed, and filled in my special branch form (so much paperwork), thanks to one of the local clubs for the lend of a Hi Viz. After being on the ground for about 40 mins I lined up at the holding point with 6 other aircraft and was on my way again. It was a beautiful leg back across the sea to Ronaldsway and even though it seems to take for ever, I think I was finally (after 2 hours in the air starting to relax). Blackpool handed me on to Ronaldway approach, and I was given a straight in to runway 26 perfect ! Unfortunately as I arrived, the glorious autumn sun was starting to set and I was virtually blind on finals. Note to self….. buy a decent pair of sunglasses.

The feeling on touching down was great, but I have never concentrated so much for so long, but what an experience! the first of many I hope.

YYZ
29th Sep 2003, 21:02
I too did my QXC yesterday & like you I enjoyed every minute, aside from the shower coming from nothing near Teesside, caught me a bit but it only lasted a short while (thankfully), like you many thanks too all who directed me around uneventfully. (Gampston, Teesside)

Test Next!!
:(
Im not worried...... Honest:8