PDA

View Full Version : BMI Airbuses to Belfast City

Jerricho
28th Sep 2003, 15:37
Heard a little rumour reference concern about BMI's Airbus services into Belfast City airport. The word on the street was the CAA was looking into saftey issues of the jets and the length of the runway.

Can anybody shed some light?

Chalky
28th Sep 2003, 16:08
Airbus have a concern over the controllability of the A321 in particular weather conditions when landing with full flap. They have advised operators to land the A321 with flap 3 in these particular conditions, and the runway at BHD is not considered long enough for this procedure.

The A320 is not affected and will continue to operate the service until Airbus come up with a software re-write for the A321.

Kestrel_909
28th Sep 2003, 16:18
But does the A320 operate into and out of City comfortably?
Despite the friendly locals:E is BHD on BMI pilot's hate list?

They seemed to be jinxed at City, look at the damages this year. One engine replaced due to damage from harsh braking(or so I hear), ground staff driving into the stablizers and the de-icing all going wrong.

Jerricho
28th Sep 2003, 16:39
Thanks Chalky.....appreciate the reply.

p.savage
28th Sep 2003, 20:10
Ah ha - So thats why I haven't been seeing too many A321's about the city.

I watched one taking off from 04 about a month ago. Fully loaded with pax, and it used every inch of runway, my heart was racing!

I think the CAA would be making the right decision to stop 321 operations at city. We can still enjoy the A320.

Kestral: I don't think bmi pilots hate BHD, in fact most of them seem to enjoy coming here.

Cheers

Savage

Kestrel_909
28th Sep 2003, 20:36
Hi Savage,

Thanks for that. I saw one of their A320s take off from 04 last month, it seemed reasonable and got airbone shortly after A1. It was thr BE146 that worried me, seemed to stick to the ground like glue!:ooh: And they fly these out of London City?
Remember hearing a BMI a few months back at City as it taxiied off after arrival, and was informed by TWR of a 2hour slot delay or similiar, merrily replied to by one of the pilots as 'ahh that's ok, we like it here!":cool:

Is quite a sight seeing the A320s take off from 04 and turn left 270degrees before flying over the field again to avoid the noise ambient.
:ok:

p.savage
29th Sep 2003, 03:40
Hi Kestrel.

I agree. 146's seem very sticky at the city. I have no idea why, because sometimes they bounce into the air! A320's certainly don't have a problem getting up or down from the city, but when you watch an A321, thats a different story! I think bmi are getting the baby bus 318/319.

Also, just a side question, in fear of starting another topic. Do bmi base pilot crews out of BHD?

Cheers
Savage

Kestrel_909
29th Sep 2003, 04:12
Hi Savage,
I think BMI base pilots out of City, maybe not that many but I think they have a few. I have talked to a guy who calimed to be a BMI pilot based from Belfast several times but not recently.

Would make sense though, would it not? if BMI have an a/c on a nightstop every night of the week, or the majority, would it not be logical to have pilots based in Belfast rather than having to hotel them everynight.
Just my thoughts:)

carlos vandango
29th Sep 2003, 07:07
guys the 146 was built for places like BHD so there are no performance problems. Longer take-off rolls suggest the use of flap 18 rather than 24. The 320 is regularly used into strips of similar length to BHD. Braking action when wet on the City's old runway can cause concern as can tailwinds on final/turbulence. As for the 321 well that's a different story...definitely one for the 2800m up the road on a bad day.

invalid entries
29th Sep 2003, 13:11
Hi All,
I operate 146 or RJ into BHD, and we always use flap 30 for take off as it reduces take off roll. The reason that we appear to use a lot of runway is due to the use of reduced take off power. I can assure you that with flap 30 and full power we use very little runway:)

keepitlit
29th Sep 2003, 16:53
Hi all, just a few points on the above,

Yes there are a few based in BHD,and also a few which are LHR based but have a pref for BHD so this makes up the base numbers to crew all the flights.

As for the 321 there is no departure problems when full,the reason for using all runway avail is to all the crews to use take off flex( reduced thrust to reduce engine wear).If max chat was used then you would see it get airbourne earlier.

The 321 has a minor software problem which is being corrected by airbus as we speak.The odds of the problem happening are very very high but as an ass covering exercise this memo was sent out buy airbus thus the A321 was withdrawn from the service .A time has not been given for reintroduction but it will happen as over 300 seats are lost due to it.:D

Landing is only restricted on a 320 with a 10 kt tail wind and a wet runway the 321 is very similar but I'll check it(off the top I think its 6 or 8kts wet, tailwind before it is restricted)

As for the early left turn of 04(paddy 1A),it saves a minute or two and we love it.:E :ok:

Hope this helps I
C'ant wait for the winter nights

22 at the city son

Rgds

K.I.L.

Kestrel_909
29th Sep 2003, 17:12
Thanks for the replies all.
Must try and get a seat out of BHD someday and pray for a Paddy1A off 04 :O Out of interest, is this departure ever used off 22 with a right turn?

Tower Ranger
30th Sep 2003, 00:15
K909
Yes for the EGPF, EGPH and EGNT routes or if we have something particularly slow ( normally vfr ) ahead of jet traffic.

shuttlebus
5th Oct 2003, 03:52
Seen this thread and couldn't help myself! (sad or what?)

Departures from 22 are noticeably more "lively" than departures from 04. Compared to departures from EGAA and EGLL, it is like being in a rocket ship, especially in a 321. (Deps from 04 aren't half as much fun)

However, I suspect that is in part due to what lies directly ahead of the departure end of 22!!! Not much chance of picking a field, so gaining height seems like a good option.

Out of interest, on a "standard day", say about 10-12°C ambient, what is a typical flex temp for a 22 departure?

Got a run over to Belfast in a couple of weeks and can't wait.

Regards,

Shuttlebus

p.savage
5th Oct 2003, 20:12
Got a run over to Belfast in a couple of weeks and can't wait.

See, I told you people love Belfast!

P. Savage

Jerricho
6th Oct 2003, 23:12
I love seeing Belfast.....in the rear-view mirror as I'm heading north for the yearly pilgrimage to Bushmills.