View Full Version : RWY ref code

Johnman
28th Sep 2003, 05:20
Looking at some airports data there was a mention of max r/w ref code ,example
Max RWY ref code: 4C
what does that mean and where can I find the rest of the codes.Thanks

Red Four
28th Sep 2003, 06:11
Try CAP168 if in UK, or ICAO ANNEX 14, i think.

Johnman
4th Oct 2003, 02:02
Thank you Red Four , but so far I did'nt find those codes.

Hooligan Bill
4th Oct 2003, 04:15
Try CAP168, Chapter 3 pages 3/1 and 3/2

square leg
4th Oct 2003, 04:31
The ref code provides a simple method for interrelating the numerous specs concerning the characteristics of aerodrome so as to provide a series of AD facilities that are suitable for the A/C that are intended to operate at that AD... more will follow

4C is where the "4" is the Code number and "C" is the Code Letter. So far so good.

The code number has got to do with Aeroplane reference field length.

The code letter has got to do with a) the wing span and b) the outer main gear wheel span.

Thus "4" ~ 1800 m and over (ref field length)

& "C"~ wing span: 24 m up to but not including 36 m

and outer main gear wheel span: ~ 6 m up to but not including 9 m

I hope that helps

Annex 14, volume 1

Johnman
7th Oct 2003, 02:01
Thank you very much , does that imply that you are not authorized to use that airport if you have an aircraft with a larger wingspan and or main gear wheel span?

square leg
10th Oct 2003, 23:37
Hi Johnman,

As far as I can see, the Ref Code is merely that, a reference. It is not intended that the specs limit or regulate the operation of an A/C, but act merely as a guidance to airport planners when planning/building an airport.

I would also imagine that a code of 4C is unlikely. I am not sure, but I think that you would see either 3C or 4D/E/F.

I think that the code numbers and letters go hand in hand. i.e.: 1A, 2B, 3C and 4D/E/F.

Check out www.caa.co.za then go to "manuals & procedures" then to "Navigational Aids" (acrobat reader) and then to page 2/22. Here's a table with some info for you.

Johnman
19th Oct 2003, 05:52
Hi Square leg, thank you very much for all the information, The 4c was in the AIP for a certain airport and when I called the airport manager he confirmed to me that it is a 4d . Pilots normally check the airport directory for information and these codes are not there.Can you verify whether the ref. you've mentioned above is correct for the same subject .

square leg
22nd Oct 2003, 04:47
Hi Johnman,

As far as I can see, a pilot won't need to know that kind of info for planning a flight. The ref code I'm talking about has got to do with AD construction planning.

Should I get more info on this, I'll let you know about it.

Cheers

Johnman
23rd Oct 2003, 03:42
Hi Square Leg, during the planning stage in order not to overlook any important item, I revise the country AIP for more information and other aviation sites. Some will give the max A/c size authorized and like in Sweden they give these codes, for example ARN is 4E. Any more information is appreciated.

square leg
26th Oct 2003, 04:42
Hi Johnman, you've done your planning correctly. The info about ref codes in the AIP are "nice-to-know" bits of info to you as a pilot. Obviously this info will back up the fact that only this or that type of A/C is allowed to fly to the AD in question. Depending on the type of AD charts you use (company/"private set"/state) you will have either all the info or tailored info at hand. The AIP will obviously give all the info you want, but as said, you the pilot, will probably never really need to use the codes as such, especially when you are being told (in the AIP) what the max A/C type (size) is allowed at that AD. It's a bit like have performance charts for T/O or LDG which don't give you the runway lengths, but merely the masses you are allowed to use for T/O or LDG for a specific RWY for a specific A/C. Hopefully that helps, all the best for the rugby against Samoa tomorrow.;)

Johnman
27th Oct 2003, 22:08
Hello square leg, most of the time it is correct that the information available at the Jeppesen and other providers are enough for deciding whether an airport is suitable or not for a certain type, it is just those times when there is not enough information on a destination airport, or the R/W or airport was designed up to a certain type but can still accommodate larger types, here where a pilot need to put an extra effort to make sure he will not have any surprises. Pilots can reduce weights to comply with a PCN for a certain runway but can't make sure that they have enough wing tip clearance or wide enough taxiways unless they take the extra effort of consulting more resources. Thank you for being a useful resource.