PDA

View Full Version : Distance learning from the states?

IrishTexanFlyer
27th Sep 2003, 03:44
Hello,

I am currently living in TX. I am undergoing a Part 141 course which includes FAA PPL, CPL/IR, Multi and CFI. I am currently working on my CPL/IR.

In the New Year I am eager to commence an ATPL distance learning course.

I have been looking into the various US schools who offer a distance learning package. They are Naples Air Center and Comair Academy. The advantages I can see with doing it in the US are that I do not have to travel to the UK to do my exams or any brush up courses. Plus I get to stay here and do some hour building while studying for the exams for cheap.

Alternatively I have been looking at Bristol Ground school, ATA Coventry and Oxford.

I understand there are a few people out there who have gone this (dorosenco) route and I have appreciated their advice in the past. Are there any others out there who have done so and would like to give any suggestions?

Thanks,

Stephen

FlyingForFun
29th Sep 2003, 17:03
Stephen,

First of all, what makes you think you can do your exams in the US? I may be wrong, but I didn't think there were any exam centres there. The ones I know of are all in England or Scotland.

I studied at Bristol, and there were plenty of foreigners on my brush-up course for both modules, including Americans. They seemed to have all the same problems as the Brits with the course itself, but I don't think that coming from the States caused any issues. There must be someone on here who's actually done it, though, who would be better placed to tell you about their experiences.

The time you spend in the UK would be three weeks (two for brush-up and one for exams) for each of the two modules (i.e. six weeks in total) at almost every school, but some schools (London Guildhall is the only one I know of) organise their courses differently.

Good luck!

FFF
--------------

Keygrip
29th Sep 2003, 19:23
FFF - one of the last things I did, when directly involved with a Florida flight school, was to arrange with the UK CAA to open an examination venue in Orlando.

It is, technically, a joint venture between three flight schools that I managed to get to work together, for the common good of their combined students - but the deal I struck with the CAA was that any candidates should be able to use it if there is sufficient spare capacity at any particular sitting.

When I set up the venue, the schools agreed that a "venue charge" of around $250 per sitting (not per subject) may be levied for "outsiders" - but this is much cheaper than travelling to Gatwick by air.

Note, however, that despite an original decree from the CAA that the venue must be available every calendar month, it does appear to be operating only when any of the three schools require it (as it has to be paid for).

Ninety-Nines
30th Sep 2003, 03:21
Might I suggest that you speak to the schools and get some names and contacts of current DL students -

I am associated with one school and can say that we have a student forum where the DL students talk....you could log on there to get the story.

It is only in the last year that two schools have received DL approval in the US.

As Key grip stated, there is an exam center in Florida where the JAA ATPL exams are given, avoiding the need to got to the EU.

Remember that you will need to go to the EU for the initial Class I JAA medical as you can only renew JAA Class I in the US.

Good Luck!

Nikki

the road atlas
30th Oct 2003, 01:29
Does any body have a list of these training places mentioned above that I can do conversions in the states?

atlas

NACGS
30th Oct 2003, 03:08
Here is the list of approved school, that is ones approved by the UK CAA as being JAA Flight Training Organisations. Click here (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/default.asp?page=1323)

It has groundschools, flight schools and also the TRTO's (found later in the list) both here in the USA and in the UK.

You can also find a list over at the JAA site at www.jaa.nl .