PDA

View Full Version : UDF (unducted fan)

Luke Mc
26th Sep 2001, 17:05
I seem to remember in the 80s there where tests with unducted fan engines, and various models where being planned powers by UDFs. Why havent these caught on and there are no commercial planes flying with UDFs today?
Luke

Herod
26th Sep 2001, 22:40
I flew a high-bypass unducted fan for years. It was the Fokker 27, and the power-plant was the trusty Dart.

Wino
27th Sep 2001, 08:59
Because fuel has gotten cheaper and cheaper over time. Not more expensive.

It also had noise issues. Corrected for inflation fuel is pretty much at an all time low.

Cheers
Wino

criticalmass
27th Sep 2001, 11:49
Nothing quite impedes the progress of science as the right idea at the wrong time.

411A
28th Sep 2001, 06:05
The UDF idea was cast aside, Luke, because of vibration and uncontained blade failure issues some time ago. Pity, because I thought at the time it had great promise.
Maybe another day.

go with the flow
2nd Oct 2001, 04:10
from a non-engineer, wouldn't a ducted approach for otherwise the same fan produce increased efficiency by reducing/preventing loss of the pressure differential around the tip? :confused:

411A
2nd Oct 2001, 06:20
This was suggested at the time, but was rejected becauce of rather large drag considerations.

Kerosene Kraut
4th Oct 2001, 18:21
Did see and hear the ukrainian An-70 UDF-Transporter flying at the Berlin Air Show ILA. Wasn't too noisy. (4 engs!) Noise can't be the reason for abandoning UDF designs. Low fuel prices like somebody mentioned above is what I think is correct -aside from the unwanted "propeller-appeal" many airlines try to avoid.
That An-70 looked like a good concept to me. However for other reasons they are getting late on starting producing it.