PDA

View Full Version : How long for CAA to issue night rating

PhilD
26th Sep 2003, 01:46
I'm intending to complete the training for a night rating soon, but I need to get my logbook and rating back from the CAA asap as I'm planning to go to the US in October and do some flying.

Does anyone have any idea how long the CAA are likely to hold onto my logbook, and how long it takes them to issue a night rating?

Thanks

strafer
26th Sep 2003, 02:01
Or you could do it at a JAA approved scholl in the states

Fly Stimulator
26th Sep 2003, 03:52
PhilD,

I just got my logbook and piece of paper with my IMC rating on it back today - a day under a month since I posted it off to them.

I wouldn't send yours anywhere near the CAA if you need it in October.

GRP
26th Sep 2003, 03:57
Except if you want to fly at night other than when you are training in the US you will need the rating before you go. You are supposed to have it on your license (in this case it is more like 'have the restriction removed') in order to be able to use the privilege with your restricted FAA license.

When I did mine I took the log book and license into Gatwick and waited for them to check it out and issue the amendment. I think all they do is reprint the one page that mentions not flying at night. It's worth giving them a call to see if you can do this.

Where are you flying on October?

PhilD
26th Sep 2003, 04:16
I'm off to Los Angeles and Las Vegas in mid Oct. It's not a flying holiday specifically (at least that's what I've told Mrs PhilD), but I've got a C172 booked for a couple of days from North Las Vegas (VGT).

I took a bit of night instruction here about 2 years ago, but I've never really bothered with completing the rating as there are so few airfields that I fly into which are open after dark anyway, especially in the summer. However in the US it's very different, as I'm sure you know, with pilot controlled lighting and 24hr airports the norm (and no landing fees, and courtesy cars and friendly FBOs, and cheap avgas, and free personal briefings, and flight following, and GPS approaches, and IFR geared up for GA, and no low-level Class A....but that's another story).

I can restrict myself to flying during daylight if necessary, it's not a big deal, but I thought that it would be good not to have to rush back to VGT by SS+30 if we found somewhere interesting to go.

I think I'll plan to complete the night training asap and then see if the CAA can get the rating issued, or at least get my logbook back to me. Fortunately I'm not very far from Gatwick, so I can take it in personally if I need to.

BTW - a related question, all 2h30m of my night instruction so far was done 2 years ago. I can't find any restriction in LASORS on how long the training can take, so I am assuming that I can just do another 2h30m now to complete the 5 hours, not have to start again - any views on this?