PDA

View Full Version : Avtur / 100LL

Grob Driver
25th Sep 2003, 19:03
Hello,

I’m flying in to Yeovilton Naval Air Station next week…

I’ve asked them if they are able to supply fuel, which they can do for me, however, they are offering me Avtur, which is what they use on their piston aircraft down there (notably a chipmunk). Is this the same as 100LL? I’m going to me flying down in a PA28, but want to make the trip home too hence the need for the correct fuel! :)

Any help / comments would be gratefully received!
:ok:

NinjaBill
25th Sep 2003, 19:09
AVTUR is the same as JET-A1, id be quite surprised if they used it in their chipmunk.

AVGAS is the same as 100LL, which will probably be more use in a PA28

NB

IanSeager
25th Sep 2003, 19:19
They do have 100LL down there, don't stick Avtur in though, whatever they tell you.

Ian

Circuit Basher
25th Sep 2003, 19:59
To re-phrase the last 2 posts - unless you're in a diesel, DON'T USE AVTUR! :)

It's paraffin / kerosene by another name and you will need a complete fuel system flush (possibly also strip down) if you put it in a PA28. 100LL is, to all intents and purposes, petrol (I know that various things such as lead / water content and other constituents are different to MOGAS) and that's what your donkey needs! ;)

Grob Driver
25th Sep 2003, 20:06
Just phoned Yeovilton again…. It is Avgas that they’ve got… not Avtur!

So, I assume from that, that there are no problems with putting Avgas in a PA28…?

Thanks for the help.

Grob Driver

A and C
25th Sep 2003, 20:31
The military call Avgas 100LL MIL F-18.

This may end the confusion with them , also the UK military paint all avgas bowsers yellow and avtur bowsers green.

down&out
26th Sep 2003, 01:29
Well thats sorted but here's a followup-

I assume Avgas is called Avgas as it stands for Aviation Gasoline.

But I've always wondered - where does "tur" in Avtur come from, is it "turbine" or something else?

spekesoftly
26th Sep 2003, 03:42
down&out,

I believe you are correct re. AVTUR.

Here's (http://www.elks.demon.co.uk/fuels/fuels.htm) a handy guide to Aviation Fuels.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
26th Sep 2003, 04:36
The military may also refer to AVTUR as F34, F37 or F40. The different numbers relate to various additives that address issues such as extreme temperatures and volatility. F34 is Jet A1 (AVTUR) fuel with additives designed especially for use by the military. They consist of fuel system icing inhibitor, corrosion inhibitor/lubricity enhancer and an antistatic additive. F34/JP8 aircraft fuel also improves operational flexibility since it can be used in diesel-operated land vehicles and equipment, offering a Single Fuel Concept in the battlefield.

I am sooooooo sorry for being sooooooo sad.