PDA

View Full Version : the takeoff call'continue'

m&v
2nd Dec 2000, 05:59
Some operators incorporate the call'continue' other than 'reject/abort' in the Takeoff briefing.I can see where this can apply,in the event of tyre failure,amber light etc,way prior to the V1 call.At one time British Airways made reference to Tyre failure on takeoff,is this still the case??.
Who else utilizes this call and why?(philosophy etc)

VH_KAM
2nd Dec 2000, 15:40
m&v in the airline i work for, the two words the Captain will use prior to V1 for a malfunction will be "STOPPING" or "CONTINUE"....

Prior to 80 knots, the Captain should call "STOPPING" if an event occurs that would be undesirable for continued takeoff roll or flight - such as Master Cautions/Warnings, unusual vibrations or tyre failure.

Above 80 knots, the takeoff should only be rejected for engine fire/failure, unsafe configuration or other condition severely affecting the safety of flight.

If prior to V1 the Captain elects to continue the takeoff with a malfunction other than an engine fire/failure, unsafe configuration or a condition that would severely affect the safety of flight he shall announce "CONTINUE".

[This message has been edited by VH_KAM (edited 02 December 2000).]

CaptSensible
3rd Dec 2000, 05:27
In our company the continue call is used to indicate that a) the Commander is aware of the problem and wishes to continue take-off, and b) to indicate that he has not become incapacitated...which might be the conclusion if he sits in silence while engines explode around him, etc! :)

sweeper
4th Dec 2000, 04:56
my lot use STOP/GO..
simple and easier to yell in high tones as my throat dries up in sheer terror..
so far i have only frightened the maintainence
people outside the sim..