PDA

View Full Version : Hi im a newbie who needs help

vs002
25th Sep 2003, 05:59
Hi,
I have only just joined however I am sooooooooo overwhelmed by the amount of posts and members i dont know where to start. So if its ok I ll post my questions here. I am only 14 and live in chiswick london (right under teh LHR flightpath) I ahve wanted to fly since I flew fro HKG-LHR with CX. I simply loved it I have flown a lot ever since. However I really want to become a pilot. I dont know any pilots and am down in LHR all the time (my dad flies the hkg run a lot (as he works in hong kong)) and see dozens of pilots howver I never have enough courage to talk to one. I would love to be able to know or tlak to an airlien pilot at leats on the internet, as it is really upsetting me lol. Thanks

Brandon Acton-Bond

J-Heller
25th Sep 2003, 08:43
Brandon,

Welcome to the forum, and check your PM's. Best advice in the short term would be to get a part time job, save some cash, and get some lessons towards your forthcoming PPL!

Best of luck,

JH

av8boy
25th Sep 2003, 12:58
Brandon,

Having been an air traffic controller for a number of decades now, and in that my oldest, dearest friend has been a pilot for about the same amount of time, I think I may be uniquely qualified to provide some pointers on getting aircrew to converse...

First, understand that if you pleasantly engage a pilot in conversation, it might be the first time all week that they feel they've been treated like a human being. The key here is to show a genuine interest in aviation as well as a little preparation. Remember, everybody flies, but hardly anyone knows much about how it works.

Second, have a plan of action. Do you want to know how to become a pilot? Then do some leg work ahead of time and ask follow-up questions. What I mean is, you'll probably have better luck starting a conversation if you show you have a bit of fundamental knowledge. Rather than ask, "how do I become a pilot?" you might want to broach the subject by saying something like, "I've always wanted to be a pilot and I was wondering, what do you think is the hardest part of your job? Is aviating the hard part or is it just working for a big company?" Listen to the answer and ask follow-up questions. Odd as it may sound, you'd probably be better off saving the more basic questions for later in the conversation. So, after talking for a while you might ask something like, "...then how would YOU suggest that someone like me get into this career?" and "...is that different than the way YOU did it?" I hope you see where I'm going with this.

Third, select your victim carefully. A crew walking briskly down the concourse is probably not going to be a likely candidate. They're either going to the aircraft or going home (or to the hotel), and they're not going to sit and chat. Also, beware a pilot who is sitting in a departure lounge and appears to be exhausted. He or she probably is. More often than not, this is probably someone who has just flown a number of trips and is just trying to get back home. Of course, eye contact or a smile from this person may be an invitation to chat. But don't feel bad if the conversation isn't forthcoming. Also, remember that this person might not be very excited about his or her job at this moment (owing to simple fatigue) and may sound discouraging. This happens in all jobs. While you really DO need to know about both the good and the bad before you make a career choice, you have to guard against giving too much weight to any one person's opinion. In other words, listen to what's being said, but don't automatically assume it is gospel.

Fourth, remember that, almost without exception, those pilots you see all around the airport had exactly the same dreams and aspirations as you. That's why they do this job. Turns out that it isn't as thrilling as they thought it would be, and in many cases it is significantly more difficulty than they expected. Still, they do it because they love it. They also love to talk about it (when they have time).

Fifth, and finally, speak in short sentences and use very small words. Otherwise the pilot's attention may wander. If his or her attention DOES wander, you can often bring them back to the conversation with a shiny piece of foil or a new coin... something that will catch their eye. If that doesn't work, I've sometimes found that a piece of cooked meat on a string (never raw...pilots have a refined sense of smell and they tend to key on steak) pulled along the carpet will often spark renewed interest among distracted aviators.

OK, that last one was a joke. :O Please join me in praying that I don't get flamed for it!

Just know that aviation is a challenging field of endeavor that can be fantastically rewarding (and I'm not talking about money here). It will keep you mentally sharp. If you want to see some of the best examples, take a look at the tech log or questions sections of PPruNe and revel in the depth of knowledge and passion. You've stumbled upon exactly the right place to begin your studies.

I too wish you the best of luck.

Dave

YYZ
25th Sep 2003, 15:37
Fifth, and finally, speak in short sentences and use very small words. Otherwise the pilot's attention may wander. If his or her attention DOES wander, you can often bring them back to the conversation with a shiny piece of foil or a new coin... something that will catch their eye. If that doesn't work, I've sometimes found that a piece of cooked meat on a string (never raw...pilots have a refined sense of smell and they tend to key on steak) pulled along the carpet will often spark renewed interest among distracted aviators.

Hey.... it made me laugh & at 8.30 on a Thursday morning that’s gotta be good!

To add to all the remarks so far there are also some good, sensibly priced books out there to point you in the right direction
EG How to become a commercial pilot by Clive Somebody?
Sorry Clive I know you browse this forum, im sure somebody will fill the gap.

Good luck & keep chasing

YYZ

FlyingForFun
25th Sep 2003, 16:02
YYZ, I think the name you're looking for is Clive Hughes - his book is available from any good pilots shop. Brandon - if you don't know where your nearest pilots shop is, try Transair (http://www.transair.co.uk).

Dave's post is one of the best I've read on this forum for ages - especially the bit about the meat!

FFF
-------------

slingsby
25th Sep 2003, 16:25
Your nearly in the right forum ''questions'' so ask away.

Back in my early days, I joined the local RAF Air Training Cadets, they gave me a really good insight into aviation, and most years we got a couple of trips in Chipmunks. I don't know if they still do this but it's worth a look. Also you may try writing to some aeroclubs, go and have a chat with the resident Flying instructors, some of them may and do hold airline jobs as well as instructing aspiring pilots.

mad_jock
25th Sep 2003, 18:24
Top post Dave :D

Another point is don't have a glass of beer in your hand when you chat to them.

All companys have pretty horrible rules about pilots in uniform being seen anywhere near booze.

So apart from the fact that the pilot will be pissed off because they would proberly like a pint before thier positioning flight home. You might also be given the PFO so they don't get a bollocking.

MJ

Also a low cut top on an ample lady can also be used to keep thier attention.