PDA

View Full Version : Can I Be A Pilot With These SAT Results

G-MIDY
25th Sep 2003, 03:07
Hello, I would like to know if this is a good start to get the following results in my SATS from Year 9 ( i'm now in Year 10 ) . In English i got a level 7 , Maths level 6 , Science level 6. I'm hoping this is a good enough start to be a pilot commerically. I intend after GCSE to study for A level Physics and Maths at College then start my flying training.
Thankyou.

Pilot16
25th Sep 2003, 03:32
Hi there,

Those SAT results are superb so dont worry.

What I would advise is you concentrate now on your GCSE's to get the top grades for all your subjects. Not just for flying, but they are needed for everything you will do from applying to colleges, getting jobs to applying for unis ...(you will change decisions time and time again as you grow older and become more mature).

concentrate on school now!! All the best.

P16

Jinkster
25th Sep 2003, 06:36
I agree with pilot16. Best of luck with the school work and STAY focussed with what you want to do - you will get there if you are passionate enough its going to be HARD work with ups and downs.

Best of luck

:ok:

smudge74
26th Sep 2003, 04:49
The results you get from school will only serve to get you part way to a Scholarship...

You don't need to be clever to be a Pilot, all you need is dedication, determination and hard work.

I left school at 16 (always wanting to fly) with no qualifications!! I joined the Army as a private infantry soilder (4 years). Then went to the Prison Service (7 years). Now that gave me life experience, I left the prison to start flight school and never looked back.

OK the groundschool was hard with no academic background but hard work and determination is what counts, it pays off in the end.

Now I fly a twin turboprop all over UK and Europe and am building my experience nicely. :ok:

So do your best but dont get too bogged down with exam results.

Danny_R
26th Sep 2003, 06:51
I think it’s fair to say that your SAT results are not going to mean a dam thing, the important things are your GCSE and A Levels, those little pieces of paper are going to be the things that take you somewhere. But as was said, they are not the be all and end all, however are still important.

With the industry the way it is today, there are only a few jobs out there, and when you apply for them, you are going to want anything that puts you above the rest. Yet you have plenty of time until you can apply to become an airline pilot, so the industry may have recovered and the job scene improved by then.

My suggestion would be, do everything and anything that will put you above the rest, whether this is being a prefect if you go to a sixth form, doing community service (hopefully not compulsory otherwise you are in trouble) learning mentor within your school, duke of Edinburgh etc, basically any extra curricular activities that you will be acknowledged for, you can't go wrong, but most importantly, as has been said, you need the determination, if you have the determination you can do anything.

Only other thing I would say, if you haven't all ready, go and have a trial flight at your local airport, that should give you an indication if you like flying or not.

Best of luck

Dan

one shoe
29th Sep 2003, 01:45
Danny R

I can not see any comparision apart from the obivous by doing a Trial Lesson. More realistic experience if you sitting still on the most uncomfortable chair you own for 10 hours a day.

How many commercial pilots do you know who still fly small aircraft? Small aircraft does not prepare you for a flying Career!!!

richardharper
6th Oct 2003, 19:55
Very nice results, i can't even remember mine but im afraid to say SATS dont mean a thing there just exam practise an they make the school look good when everyone passes (You cant fail).

What does count are your GCSE's to get you into sixth form and then your A-Levels which buy the time you do them there will probably be a 100% pass rate so no-worries.

I have just completed my A-levels in the summer and now im trying to earn some money before going to the US to do my CPL and instructors rateing and geting a job.

The most important thing is determination and money (or the depth of mum an dads pockets(but not in my case because my dads a pilot so hes skint))

Work hard now at school then you will have no probs.

C u on the flight deck! :ok:

Rich

Wireless
7th Oct 2003, 01:41
I take issue with that One Shoe.

For One thing. Our man is going to have to be happy in light aircraft. Elementary training for an airline career is conducted in such machines. I have taken a few people up as passengers in light aircraft and have been told by a couple that flying in light aircraft is not their thing despite having flown in airliners to Ibiza, Carrib, LAX etc, due to the fact that one can feel the motion of small aircraft a hell of a lot more. So it follows that if you are going to initially train on a light aircraft then see how you feel in one.

Also, don't forget that the aviation world does not end with 737s. There are many folk earning a living doing completely different things in aircraft as a profession. Air Taxi, Instructing, Police work, Ferrying, Bush Flying, NGO aid flying... and not every one is just biding time for an airline job. Many are happy in the shere of aviation they are in

Bill

John Pearce
8th Oct 2003, 22:44
Hey G-MIDY

Those results sound fine to me! As the others have said, what counts more than anything is the GCSE and A-level results.

This especially applies if you are looking for a sponsorship deal with an airline (few and far between these days) as they want to get a feel for your academic qualities before injecting X amounts of money into your training.

If you look at the other extreme. All you need to hold a PPL is to be able to pass a medical, pass the written exams, and above all be able to demonstrate your ability to aviate safely when it comes to your flight test.

One of the other guys on here said keep focused, and determined. Too right!!
If I'm honest it's quite tough at times to do the commercial training but if your heart's in it you'll achieve your aim. It's taken me nearly 3 years but now I'm very happy working as an instructor. (Still flying the little aeroplanes that we take you up in on trial flights) Just proves what Wireless said!

Keep with it mate!

Happy landings
JP

REvans
10th Oct 2003, 05:40
G-MIDY,

Im in a pretty simular situation to yourself, just started Y10 got decent SAT grades like yourself. Unfortunatly has mentioned they dont really mean a thing.

So thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, its also been alot of use to me.

Good Luck

RE

PS,
Definatly go on a trial flight if you can, excellent fun and gets you into a cockpit of an aircraft they even let you have a go!!!! Also the flying time counts towards the hours needed for a PPL should you decide to start after the trial. I am hoping to start at the begining of next year.

oli carley
13th Oct 2003, 20:31
the best thing i can suggest for someone your age is to go and join the atc. The best foundation for a career in aviation is to join the ATC. They will teach you the basics you need.
Good luck, oli

cessnababe
14th Oct 2003, 03:55
As well as concentrating on getting good results at school and also joining the ATC to get some flying experience, you should really consider doing some aptitude testing. This can be done through the Guild of Air Pilots and Navigators up at RAF Cranwell and the tests there will give you good guidance on whether you have the ability to train as a pilot before you spend thousands. Visit the website at www.gapan.org
Good luck!

flaps to 60
14th Oct 2003, 05:25
G-MIDY

Of course work hard and get as many qualifications as you can with good results........But at the end of the day all the degrees in the world doesn't mean you will pass the ATPL's.

I studied with some really intelligent guys with degrees comming out of every orrifice but struggled with both the ground school and the flying. At the same time some real duffers had no problems.

The thing that will get you through is a positive attitude with being the right chap!

There is nothing really difficult with the ground school other than the quantity of work to study and this is especially true of type ratings.

Having good grades will certainly help with a cadetship.

So my two penny worth is study hard, get good results (seems you are already) and be aware that the amount of info thrown at you at Atpl level may well be humbling.....as happened to me!

Good luck in this mad but rewarding career