PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Heathrow

BWBriscoe
21st Sep 2003, 00:36
I will soon be visiting LHR just to have a look around and see some interesting airlines and aircraft.

Is there a visitors centre at Heathrow? If so, what are the opening hours?

Are there any shops that sell airline and airport souvenirs? I know there are many tax free shops, but a shop that sells airline souvenirs would be great!

Thanks for all your help.

GOE235
21st Sep 2003, 04:04
Hi, yep there is a visiting centre, with a shop that sells aircraft models/food etc.

Not too sure on the opening hours though sorry.

I believe it is located to the north of the airport near 27R

no sponsor
21st Sep 2003, 04:29
There is a spectators viewing area located between terminals 1 & 2. It is sign-posted, but it can be a bit tricky to locate.

There is a shop and a cafe, and a viewing gallery in the open, which can be quite full with photographers. There are a set of departure screens in the lower gallery - which is out of the wind and rain.

It is normally opened during the hours of daylight in the winter. I believe it is closed early evening in the summer. I'm not sure of the opening times, but its certainly open after 10 am.

Mark Lewis
21st Sep 2003, 04:32
The spectator gallery was closed some months ago, and the visitors centre is on the Bath Road, near to the Rannaisance Hotel. However I would recomend Myrtle Avenue, on the dual carriageway from Hattons cross, just South of the approach to 27L.

Fright Level
21st Sep 2003, 15:14
Link to the Heathrow Visitor Centre (http://www.baa.com/doc/9345bdd88889132780256952004e4562_main.html) on the www.baa.com site.

kepor
21st Sep 2003, 19:00
Is the spectator gallery still shut?

akerosid
21st Sep 2003, 19:04
Unfortunately, the spectator's gallery is still shut, another victim of unfocused security. The visitors' centre, as impressive as the displays there are, is pretty useless for viewing; by the time aircraft come alongside, they're obstructed by fencing and can't be easily photographed.

BAA, or whoever makes this decision, appears to believe that by closing the observation decks (and with the removal of the Herald from LGW's deck, the closure of this deck is rumoured to be following), it will dissaude/discourage enthusiasts from coming. It only encourages them to seek other vantage points and consequently, security will have a much harder time keeping tabs on them than if they were confined to one place. Still, if that's the game they want to play, fine, but it doesn't contribute anything to airport security.

waco
21st Sep 2003, 20:13
Whats going to happen to the Herald then ? Anyone know ?

MD11FAN
21st Sep 2003, 23:02
If BAA do close the viewing terrace at Gatwick it just goes to show that they have completely lost the plot regards viewing facilities. I used to live @20 miles from LGW, visited regularly and remember reading that it was in the top 3 visitor attractions in the South-East. I have also just returned from a photo trip to Frankfurt(also been to Zurich); excellent viewing terrace still open on Terminal 1 and a new one has just been opened at the new Zurich terminal. If other airports can cope with these facilities then why the BAA??

surely not
22nd Sep 2003, 04:22
I think you'll find that the 'landing' of the Herald on terra firma is because work is due to start soon on the South Terminal Arrivals Extension and it would have been a hazard to have left the Herald in situ.

kepor
22nd Sep 2003, 06:48
Shame.

Can't see the local police being too impressed. They used to have all spectators in one concentrated area, under video surveillance no doubt. Now they must be up every tree, peering through every gate around the airport perimeter, impossibe to keep an eye on.

It really is a step back from a security point of view.

boeingbus2002
23rd Sep 2003, 06:22
As for model shops, there is one in the Sheraton Hotel on Bath road. Massive selection!
There was one too at the T1/T2 Gallery, but if its closed, i dont know where they have moved to.

Globaliser
23rd Sep 2003, 17:37
If you're travelling by car, you might want to drop in to the Aviation Hobby Shop (http://www.tahs.com/) in West Drayton as well. It's less than 10 minutes drive from LHR, although it is also possible to go by public transport (http://www.tahs.com/directio.html).