PDA

View Full Version : Does Choice Of Flying School Really Matter?

Benix
19th Sep 2003, 19:29
Firstly i would like to say hello as this is my first post on PPRuNe :D

I appologise if this has been on the forums before, i had a quick look and couldn't see anything recently. I am currently PPL/IMC/NIGHT and studing the last of my ATPLs which i should (hopefully) pass in the new year. At the moment I am trying to decide which company to do my CPL/IR/FIC with. Unfortunately i dont have lots a spare $$$ to do my training at OAT. What im asking is does it really matter to airlines where you do your training?

I know some prefer Oxford or Scabair, but in the end surely any flying school that has gone throught the accreditation process to run a JAA CPL/IR course would be ok :confused: Ummm maybe i should try to stop thinking so logically, it seems like the rest of industry doesn't!!

Just wondering also if anyone on here has done any training with Stapleford or Wycombe Air Centre? What are their courses like?

Thanx....

YYZ
19th Sep 2003, 20:31
I personally do not think it matters to most companies as long as you have the relevant licenses and show good handling skills etc.
OATS and others state that certain airlines have a preference to take students from them? I know a few who have studied at OATS and I think if this is the case then it is only the top 5% if any as they were not aware of this?

Do not throw your money away spend it wisely and shop around, do not just go for the cheapest find the best package to suit your needs.

FlyingForFun
19th Sep 2003, 20:35
It's far more important to you than it is to employers. Every school is different, every student is different, and the important thing is to find a school and an instructor which suits your specific learning style.

FFF
-------------

GonvilleBromhead
19th Sep 2003, 20:41
Well, this is probably one of the most frequently and contentiously debated topic on "wannabees".

In a nutshell, it's all really a matter of personal opinons (in my opinion), and no doubt, we will see all sorts of various ones in response to your question.

For what it's worth, my own opinion is this. There are many good schools out there, eg. OATS, BAE, Cabair etc etc, and will ALLl train you to the standard required to obtain the CPL/IR (provided you put the work in and have the raw ability in the first place, you can't really "teach" ability if you like). That's a fact.

Where the debate gets interesting / opinionated is which school offers "better" value for money. How you measure this "better value" is upto you. Whether it be in purely financial terms, location for you, aircraft availability, attitude to students, or the much vaunted claims that some schools "give you a better chance to network with the airlines" due to reputation.

This last bit is by far the most debated and contentious bit. It may well be true, it may not. Some more sceptical people may believe this to be a marketing tool used by a school to gain the competitive advantage in recruiting students over there competitors. Who do you believe ? Well, pretty much upto you if you think it is worth paying more for this then so be it.

Personally, I don't subscribe to that point of view, others do. I am of the belief that airlines will be mainly looking at whether or not you got a first time IR pass as a reasonable priority if you're a low houred guy moreover which school you obtained your JAA CPL/IR from, after all, they're all JAA CPL/IR's. You either make it or you don't.

If you've got a significant number of hours when you apply to the airlines eventually, I dont believe they will care two hoots where you trained

I completed my CPL/IR training at Stapleford, passed both tests first time in minimum hours, and would rate the school very favourably. The staff are thoroughly professional, I was never personally affected by planes going tech (although I'm sure they do now and again, like anywhere) or had any scheduling problems (provided you use a bit of common sense booking ahead 'cos it was a busy school), and a reasonable cost too.

Suited me perfectly, passed and now looking for that first break (like one or two others). I'm happy that I can put "first time passes" on my CV, that's what I wanted to achieve and good enough for me right now in the job hunt; and I'm sure OATS/Cabair/EPTA etc guys may or may not be able to do the same.

Crikey, lengthy reply that, but that's the gist of it as I see it.

All the very best with it all wherever you go, enjoy it.

Gb.