PDA

View Full Version : Cleared direct to xyz (US airspace)

flite idol
19th Sep 2003, 10:20
Can anyone provide me with a definitive answer and preferably a reference to the appropriate section in the FAR/AIM TERPs ATC manual or where ever the answer is to this question?
When flying in US airspace under an instrument clearance TO an airport with a co-located/named VOR, VOR/DME or VORTAC navaid with the same identifier as the airport, for example Grand Rapids Airport (KGRR) and the navaid Grand Rapids (GRR). When enroute and cleared by ATC as follows "Lear 123 cleared direct Grand Rapids," is that to the navaid or the aerodrome (assuming Rnav/fms equipped)?
It was my understanding that unless the clearance specifically contained the word "airport" or "aerodrome" AND a navaid was co-named/located (however may be a number of miles distant) then the clearance limit was the navaid! However I cannot find a reference and find ATC inconsistent in their interpretation. Sorry for the length of the question, thanks in advance and this is not a gripe, just an effort to make up for my lack of knowledge!

kabz
19th Sep 2003, 12:04
Read this column by Don Brown which goes over some examples and provides references to the appropriate parts of the AIM ...

ATC 203 ... IFR Flightplan (http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/185690-1.html)

I think it's what you were looking for :ok:

vector4fun
19th Sep 2003, 13:57
Flite,

The clearance you received before departure most likely stated your destination airport as your clearance limit. From the AIM:

4-4-3. Clearance Items

ATC clearances normally contain the following:

a. Clearance Limit. The traffic clearance issued prior to departure will normally authorize flight to the airport of intended landing. Under certain conditions, at some locations a short-range clearance procedure is utilized whereby a clearance is issued to a fix within or just outside of the terminal area and pilots are advised of the frequency on which they will receive the long-range clearance direct from the center controller.

===========================================

Normally, when operating in a RADAR environment, that will not change. When landing at an airport where radar service is not available, it is common, but by no means necessary, for the controller to change your clearance limit to a navaid or fix. However, the controller should make PLAIN that your clearance limit has been changed. When I work an arrival, (radar environment), and clear the aircraft direct the LOM, I've not intended to change the airport clearance limit, but only amended the routing to get there. If I'd intended the LOM to be the new clearance limit, I'd also give you holding instruction and an EFC time.

Does that help?

flite idol
19th Sep 2003, 21:33
Thanks for the replies! Kabz I have read a few of Don Browns articles on Avweb and thanks for the link to that one
Vector4fun thanks for your input. I used the term clearance limit inappropriately. Let me try again; Enroute to KGRR with several fixes between me and the airport including the Grand Rapids VOR, an unsolicited clearance comes across the airwaves; "lear 123 cleared direct to Grand Rapids" No mention of airport or aerodrome is made, what is my next fix? I ask this because some controllers are absolutly adamant that you must proceed to the navaid others to the airport. I fly an aircraft with dual FMS`, if one pilot selects direct to the airport and the other to the navaid, as one gets closer the flight directors diverge! I was just curious if there was any published procedures specifically addressing co-named/located airports/navaids. Thanks again.

vector4fun
20th Sep 2003, 11:05
Flite,

I really can't find a definitive answer for you except this one:

When in doubt, clarify with the controller.

To be honest, In the radar facilites I've worked at, we controllers would probably not notice nor care which you were navigating to. When you reach the boundry of my airspace, I'm going to vector you for a sequence. Happens here all the time late night when Center stops assigning the STARs and starts sending the arrivals direct. Some are heading towards the VORTAC and some to the airport. Matters not, they'll normally get a vector before they get within 20 miles of either.

Now, in a NON-RADAR environment, it's a whole 'nother story, and the controller ought to be a bit more precise with his/her clearances. And in fact, as you approach the airport, I imagine you will find that they will re-clear you in a more precise manner, unless you're the only aircraft in the area and are expecting a visual approach...
;)

Scott Voigt
21st Sep 2003, 01:57
Flite and Vector;

This is an item that has been brought up at the National level. ATPAC is looking into the problem as it has caused some issues both in the pilot community as well as the controller community.

The controller should tell you cleared to the GRR airport if you are /G, /F, /I or /E. If you are slant most anything else then it should obviously be the VOR that he / she should clear you too. The problem that we run into is that pilots are filing to the airport and NOT to the VOR. You do this by putting GRR GRR in the flight plan. This denotes that you are navigating to the VOR and then to the airport or the arrival fix into the airport ( no one files those anymore either except in training.).

Quite often when the enroute controller clears you 500 miles direct somewhere they don't even know that the place that they have cleared you to doesn't have a colocated VOR or not. You didn't file it in your flight plan <G>. It is also outside of our airspace so we aren't really sure about it.

Oh, as to looking at what Don has written. He has ALL the research done for you <G>...

regards

Scott

flite idol
21st Sep 2003, 08:47
Folks thankyou very much for taking the time to compose such eloquent and educational responses. I take some comfort having failed miserably to come up with a satisfactory answer on my own, it appears there may not be a totally satifactory answer available yet! Obviously I do not feel this proposes a grave danger to safety but rather an obvious lack of standardisation within my airline and somewhat the system. Thanks again!