PDA

View Full Version : Operating + Living in Saskatoon

Jemy
19th Sep 2003, 03:51
Hi Guys,

I may be moving to Saskatoon to operate this winter, the other option is Calgary. Just wondering what sort of a place it is in winter for me, wife and my young family.

Research on the web seems ro indicate a small city on the flat Prairies, very cold with not too much to do. Is this impression correct and should I try to get to Calgary instead?

With best regards,

Jemy:ok:

goates
19th Sep 2003, 05:02
I would say Calgary would be better for a family as, like you noticed, it has more to do. The mountains are close by and have great skiing, plus there is more to do in town. The best part in teh winter is that we get Chinooks, or warm winds that can raise the temperature to well above zero. Saskatoon has nothing between it and the North Pole, and will drop to -20 or -30 for a month at a time in the winter. At least that's what my cousin said. Saskatchewan also has a provincial sales tax on top of the GST, but in Alberta there is only the GST to worry about, so things like gas(petrol) are noticeably cheaper.

I could be a bit biased about all of this though... :D

STC
19th Sep 2003, 05:42
Be a bit careful about what someone's cousin tells them...

:)

It snowed in Calgary yesterday. Calgary enjoys chinooks throughout the winter season that gives it a few warm breaks. But its sort of chilly there throughout the year especially in the evenings. The altitude is the culprit there!

Any farmer will tell you that you can't grow a decent tomato in Calgary because you have a risk of frost year round.

Saskatoon is the largest city in Saskatchewan and in my opinion is very nice. It doesn't have as much flash as Calgary or other bigger cities as far as “stuff to do” but it all depends what you’re in to. There’re really no good fishing in Calgary for instance and the cultural mosaic is sort of bland when compared to other cities.

I don’t mean to slag Calgary as it is a great city in its own right but …don’t write off Saskatoon without checking into it a bit more.

Jemy
19th Sep 2003, 15:34
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I suppose wherever we go we shall make the most of it. I think a bit more web research is needed.

Thanks,
Jemy

goates
19th Sep 2003, 22:09
If you have any more questions, post them here and I'll be glad to answer them.

Good luck with your move. :)

GOates

PS - The tomatoes that one of my co-workers brought in yesterday were just as good as any you could buy in the store...

STC
20th Sep 2003, 10:59
goates,

Did you have to brush the snow off them?
:)

ColeFace
21st Sep 2003, 12:18
Are you going to buy a home? Check out house prices in Calgary Saskatoon is much more affordable and a good place to raise a family. If you have a good job go for Saskatoon it has everyting you need, great small city and friendly people. Calgary is a rat race.

goates
22nd Sep 2003, 06:39
Frosted tomatoes are great...

Actually, the snow was already gone. :)

GOates

Jemy
27th Sep 2003, 23:15
Hi Coleface,

We are just coming for the winter to operate for Skyservice. Still no firm news about postings yet, but I think Saskatoon will not be too bad afterall.

Cheers,
Jemy

rbaron
29th Sep 2003, 09:20
It might not be much to look at, but Saskatoon is a great place. The people in Saskatchewan are incredibly friendly and aviation is alive and well at CYXE. Myself, I am from the west coast, but came to adopt Saskatchewan as my second home when I moved there on a contract several years ago. I still miss the place even though I live in Northern Ontario now.
If your family is flexible and well-adjusted, you will find a way to adapt and fit in.
Good luck,
rbaron

saudipc-9
1st Oct 2003, 01:44
I've been in both places for one reason or another.
Here is some food for thought

Saskatoon- cool in the winter, Sask income tax (yikes), but nice housing prices and auto insurance

Calgary- Not too bad for winter, Alberta taxes, but housing prices and insurance rates very expensive