PDA

View Full Version : OMG! how horrible! are Austrians colour blind?

Bmused55
19th Sep 2003, 03:43
Just been looking at pictures of the new austrian airlines colour scheme..... MY GOD!

It looks like it was designed by a 5 year old with a box of colour crayons!
The colours are horrible, they clash and are arranged on their aircraft in such away it looks like something from an air disaster movie!

Their current scheme, sorry now old scheme, was perfect and timeless. this new one, well its just farcicle and a waste of money IMHO

anyone else agree with me?

Gin Slinger
19th Sep 2003, 06:30
Quick! Move this to the Geeky Spotters Forum, or better still, Airliners.net

chippy63
19th Sep 2003, 15:39
Anyone able to post the new colours? I liked the old ones, especially the fuselage line that turns from green to blue down the plane.

Bmused55
19th Sep 2003, 17:29
Actually, Gin slinger... I'm not a geeky Spotter!
I'm in the business of Airline Colour schemes and like to keep up to date what new "flavours" are going round. As such I tend to notice new colour schemes.

So hush and don't put people down because of your own preconceptions.
Or perhaps you are a spotter yourself? and just feel better by putting down others. :* (sorry, but I hate it when I get replies like yours)

Anyway, Chippy asked for a post of the new colours.
Heres a link

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/424113/L

TDK mk2
19th Sep 2003, 18:04
that's still not even close to mytravel - that wasn't one of yours was it bmused?!

Bmused55
19th Sep 2003, 19:05
Oh heck no!

I have colour eyesight and taste.

Joe Phoenix
19th Sep 2003, 19:41
:\
Ummm, I rather thought it looked quite nice ...

jetstream7
19th Sep 2003, 20:03
bmused55

your profile doesn't suggest you're in the airline colour schemes business, more like that you support Adobe... perhaps you could explain the link just for clarification ? Thanks.

Oh...the rest of the profile does make you look sound a geeky spotter... so you may want to change that.

Rgds ;)

chippy63
19th Sep 2003, 20:04
Thanks, BMused, yes, I still prefer the old colours, too.
But the new ones aren't as bad as I expected- was wondering if Mr Bob A had shown up in Vienna with his sample book of amazing technicolour aircraft designs....
H'm, the bird design on the tail is a bit similar to LH's famous crane..

Stand 22
19th Sep 2003, 20:25
Just what is wrong with MYT's colours exactly?

Regards,

Bmused55
19th Sep 2003, 20:55
Nothing wrong with MYT's colours at all. They fit perfectly.

But these colours for Austrian? I think not.
Maybe its some sort of art neuveau (spl?)
The colour are ok, I just would not associate them with austria or OS. And the design they have been applied to is rudemenatry and simply stupid.

@jetstream: I'm not one for updating my profiles. Will do so now :) :ok: The link is basically; My primary occupation is tech support. My second and probably soon to be only occupation is colour schemes.

@ Joe: Sure, they look nice,.... if you close your eyes that is.

Chippy, your right.. it looks like the LH crane in a way

BAe 146-100
19th Sep 2003, 21:03
Hi,

http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/photos/icons/01OE-LGG-ICON.jpg

BAe 146-100

MAN777
20th Sep 2003, 02:12
Well I like it !!

Airline scheme changes go much further than just the aircraft, I am sure this is part of a complete new corporate image.

Bet it looks good on the A340 !

Anyone remember the old "Calder"colours on some Braniff aircraft, now that did look like kids withs crayons.

(sorry for sounding geeky, but who gives a t-ss)

And I would just like to add that it must be a bonus to international airline safety if all pilots, airport workers, ATC, drivers, etc keep abreast of scheme changes and aircraft recognition, so its not really geeky at all.

Lump Jockey
20th Sep 2003, 16:27
Modern and handsome, and I'm not just talking about myself! :8 It looks quite Japanese/Chinese even. I think the colours work well together, IMHO.
So bmused55, what would you say makes a good livery? And which ones have you actually worked on?
LJ

BAe 146-100
20th Sep 2003, 18:26
Hi,

I think it does look better then the current Austrian livery :).

BAe 146-100

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
20th Sep 2003, 18:43
But not the Tyrolean scheme which IMHO is one of the best schemes around

Golf-India Bravo

Gin Slinger
21st Sep 2003, 06:43
BM55 - my apologies if I offended you, it's my experience that those overly interested in a particular airlines' livery tend either to work for the company, or are in fact spotter geeks.

I suppose I should consider the Airline Paint Job Designer category before I judge :hmm:

twilightsglow
23rd Sep 2003, 03:54
they could do without the pale blue, but i think the red, white, and turquoise look nice together. I was expecting some horrible combination of brown and orange

Bmused55
2nd Oct 2003, 05:17
Lump Jockey, I ain't gonna say what I have worked on, basically because none of them have been revealed yet.
To be honest... there isn't such a thing as a good colour scheme.
Well I mean there is no real guideline of do's and don'ts

Whatever floats the boat for the managment will do.

I still think the new OS colours are terrible... but I respect their decision. The Belly and Tail is growing on me.. but the baby blue cowlings are just naff!

@ Gin slinger: No offence taken... If I ever attend a Pprune bash, point yourself out to me. I love feisty posts :) better than poeple just agreeing with ya or not posting at all :)

@ G-I-B : Yeah, the Tyrolean livery was great.

To all... thanks for the replies :ok: been entertaining :)

maxmobil
3rd Oct 2003, 21:45
"but the baby blue cowlings are just naff!"

Thanks for supporting us Austrian pilots who have to look at the pale blue every day...

But unfortunately we were not asked.

BTW, i wonder how much money the agency charged to rename "Austrian Airlines" to "Austrian" AGAIN, as it was printed on every aircraft until 1996.

PAXboy
3rd Oct 2003, 22:13
maxmobile's post says it all. Irrespective of the silly baby blue, it is the reversal of the name tells you that someone has lost control.

I am something of a tradionalist in these matters and hope that the current trend for wavy lines along all parts of the machine will pass soon.

That said, I did (do) like the BA painted tails and thought them a triumph. But let's not go back to that subject!!

Bmused55
4th Oct 2003, 00:45
I am something of a tradionalist in these matters and hope that the current trend for wavy lines along all parts of the machine will pass soon.

Indeed it might PAXboy.
More and more are going for the "eurowhite" idea...... a basic all white fuselage with some Decals and perhaps a nice colour on the engine cowlings, matching the colour of the tail usually. Though it would seem that a silver paint (like Virgin's) is a growing favorite.

Cheatlines are looking a little tired these days.... but used carefully can create a good look.

And yeah,... the name reversal for OS is somewhat silly.

They probably shelled out millions for that. I could have done it for a fiver :ok:
Not that they needed this change... the old scheme was fine.

R.I.P common sense LOL :cool:

steve_mcginley
4th Oct 2003, 01:40
Lump Jockey, I ain't gonna say what I have worked on, basically because none of them have been revealed yet.

More FS2002/4 Repaints? :confused:
Like what you see on www.avsim.com?:yuk:
-My thoughts on FS = :mad:

Anyway that Autrian livery is quite nice!

Steve

goatface
4th Oct 2003, 03:06
I often wondered what goes through the minds of the paint shop guys when they get the aeroplane and are told "here, paint it this colour";
They told me it's a bit like being a seamstress fitting a fat, ugly teenage bride for her wedding dress - the customer is always right..:E

PAXboy
4th Oct 2003, 05:12
B55: I think the white hull and minimal decals is part of the current cost saving round! I noted that NW made a significant saving on their new paint scheme by (other than the base) only applying paint to about 60% of the tail.

Which is why I am surprised by the wavy lines - as I suspect that they cost more to paint and apply. I sit to be corrected.

Bmused55
4th Oct 2003, 18:22
Yeah, wavey lines cost a lot to apply. Basically because somone has to mask them out by hand which can sometimes take days, sometimes a week or two.
I too heard that NW are saving money with their new paintscheme... I read somewhere that they were saving 20-35% overall, in relation to their old "Bowling Ball shoe" scheme.

Cost saving or not.. it looks very smart. I wonder is it was enspired by Virgin Atlantic.

BTW: Steve, What the heck are you talking about?

newscaster
10th Oct 2003, 19:40
Landor have designed this rather insipid scheme. They also recently redesigned JAL and Gulf Air.

reverserunlocked
11th Oct 2003, 01:45
I rather like the new Gulf Air scheme actually.

I think that airline colour schemes tend to mellow after time.
The BA world tails were pretty much universally hated at the time but I think five years on the ones that remain actually look very fresh and modern. Monarch's new livery is quite nice and the Thomas Cook Airlines livery looks fantastic.

Britannia/TUI's is horrific! To my eyes the new Austrian livery could be worse - not sure about the blue though.

Bmused55
12th Oct 2003, 19:31
Britannia/TUI's is horrific! To my eyes the new Austrian livery could be worse - not sure about the blue though.

I hear ya! Its a shame they went with that, makes em look like a giant inflatable toy.

As for gulfair.... has anyone not noticed that it kinda copies the new TNT design. The creator of which I know and he's actually flattered by that. LOL!