PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Low level route (again)

witchdoctor
18th Sep 2003, 23:15
Hi all,

Just after some pointers from those who know the area well. Flown through maybe 3 times in all, but find navigating once north of Warrington (on a northbound transit) problematic, as it all just looks the same and the half mil chart doesn't help much with built up areas. I'm not a GPS user and don't want to rely on the WHI beacon as the nav kit on the a/c ain't great and I'd much rather do it visually anyway.

So, what advice would you give to keep us on track. (Southbound doesn't seem to be a problem for some reason - wierd or what?)

Thanks in advance, WD

Spiney Norman
19th Sep 2003, 00:30
Hello witchdoctor.
Perhaps this will help......
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/299/DAP_ACD_ManLowLev.pdf

Spiney

Squadgy
19th Sep 2003, 00:51
Hi,

Once North of Warrinton look for a large water feature with a dual carriageway just south of it - this is called 'Leigh Flash', once there look for a large football stadium on the foot of Winter Hill (SW of the TV mast), this is Reebok Stadium. if you fly directly between the two this will take you up the E side of the LLR, be aware of rule 5 though esp when the Reebok Stadium has a match on.

tonyhalsall
19th Sep 2003, 02:21
Hmm, this is unusual.

I could understand you finding the area to the South of Warrington down to Winsford being a bit flat and featureless, but north of Warrington is full of very identifiable features.
Depending of course on where you are heading:
1) The M6 motorway is identifiable from anywhere near Warrington - just look right (if heading north) and you will see the Thelwall viaduct which is the edge of Manchesters zone and the point at which the M6 can be followed (north) or avoided if going south.
2) From Thelwall - follow the M6 North and you will pass an easily identifiable Haydock Racecourse and on past the M6/M58 VRP this route will take you almost directly due north.
3) From Thelwall (if heading to Woodvale / Southport) turn left at the M6/M58 VRP - the gas towers of Southport and the Mersey docks at Seaforth give easy visual referencres.
4) From Thelwall (if heading to Barton) follow M6 to M62 junction and turn right - follow M62 right up to Barton (you will see Barton Bridge from Thelwall on a clear day).

Now, I'm not sure I believe you that you find it easier South of Warrington, cos the only visual references are Jodrell bank and the salt works - I think this part of the corridor is easy to become 'unsure of your position.'

I can also tell you that the controllers at Liverpool (119.85 - I think from memory, check your chart) are VERY accomodating for VFR transits through their zone (unlike MAN who I wouldn't dare speak to!!). Expect your chosen routing to be accepted 'not above 1500'). May I suggest you try a routing Entering the Zone at Ellesmere Port and transitting up the Mersey to Seaforth - fantastic !

Hope that helps

Tony
G-MYIP

By the way - I fly the low level route at least once a month - clockwise and anti clockwise around Liverpool in varying weather and vis. conditions just for practice (and fun)

Squadgy
19th Sep 2003, 02:28
the only visual references are Jodrell bank and the salt works - I think this part of the corridor is easy to become 'unsure of your position.'

Be very aware however that Jodrell Bank is not in the LLR, but actually well within the Manchester Zone, think it would cause a fair few problems to Manchester departures if you were at Jodrell without a clearance:eek:

tonyhalsall
19th Sep 2003, 02:33
That's why I said it was a visual reference point

Davidt
19th Sep 2003, 17:00
Also be aware of the fact that the Thelwall viaduct is either in Manchester zone or on its borders. If going North keep it on your right.

No one mentioned Haydock Park racecourse is a easily spotted visual reference and is a great marker for the top end of the llr.

Once you find Haydock follow the M6 North bound. Next one is M6/M58 junc which is a vrp Blackpool, if in doubt look for the Heinz beenz factory at Skem bloody big sign easily seen from several 1000 up!

I,m going whippet racing tonight black puddin for me tea!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
20th Sep 2003, 02:51
North of Warrington the M6 is entirely within the LLR (hard by the eastern boundary at Thelwall, and adjacent to the western boundary at the northern end), so that makes it easy. South of Warrington the M6 curves markedly east well into the Manchester Zone just at the point it passes closest to Manchester Airport - so don't follow it!

A lot of folks have mentioned Haydock Park racecourse. Don't forget there is an airfield on the racecourse, which can be very busy on race days before and after the racing.

SSD

sickBocks
20th Sep 2003, 05:52
A propos of nothing, I was doing my night rating at MAN the night the LLR shifted to the left a bit (due to the opening of 06R/24L) that was entertaining as it was midnight when I was routing upto Jodrell Bank.

tonyhalsall
30th Sep 2003, 00:34
Just browsing the net and found this

www.caa.co.uk/docs/299/DAP_ACD_ManLowLev.pdf

Maybe useful if you are unfamiliar with this part of the world

Cheers

Tony