PDA

View Full Version : Logbooks, Logbooks & more Logbooks

tartan 42
18th Sep 2003, 15:50
Can someone help out with information relating to logbooks?
I am about to commence PPL/NIGHT/IMC as a block. Later, I may pursue stage 2 - ATPL DL and hour build, then Stage 3 - MULTI/CPL/IR etc (fairly standard route)...... but for now - just setting my sights on stage 1.

I obviously need a logbook. The common ones are:
CAA CAP 407
Jeppesen European Pilot Loog (JAR)
Pooleys JAR-FCL Logbook

I have noted comments on some previous threads, but really, before I can decide and order (by mail), I need to understand what each has in the way of columns and entries. Right now, I guess I just need something to cover PPL/IMC etc - but if I'm going multi & IR later, it might be better to get one that covers both PPL & commercial (if there is one).

Thus - if anyone would have the patience and willingness to note down the columns from each and respond (or PM) I would be very grateful.

Why not go and take a look for myself you say - well, I'm living in Paris and don't want to fly back to the UK just to check this out. The ones in France won't suit me for long term flying in the UK (when I return).

One other point - is each of the three mentioned above compatible and approved for CAA JAA PPL. I don't want the CAA to reject it in the future.

Thanks - I realise its a lot to ask writing out the column headers etc.

ps - my wife just told me to write it all down in an exercise book !!!! I had to laugh. LASORS sets out the criteria, but does not mention if you can use that criteria in your own home-made logbook. What is the position on this?
T-42

FlyingForFun
18th Sep 2003, 16:03
Tartan,

Sorry, I can't actually answer your question directly. But here are a few points.

Many PPL courses include a logbook in the price of your course. So don't buy anything just yet. Also, have you had a trial lesson yet? If not - and I don't mean any offense by this - but you may find that you don't actually enjoy flying as much as you thought you would, in which case it would be silly to buy anything before you need it.

It doesn't really matter what columns you have in your logbook. My logbook has an "Other" column. My insurance company want to know how much tail-wheel time I have, and there is nowhere in my logbook to record this, so I cross out the word "Other" and write "Tail-wheel" in its place.

And your wife's solution actually isn't as laughable as it sounds. Although I don't have a reference to give you, I don't believe there are any rules about where you keep the record of your hours, so long as the hours that you log are in accordance with the guidelines, and accurate.

Hope that helps.

FFF
--------------

tartan 42
18th Sep 2003, 16:48
FFF
Thanks for reply and advice.
I agree with your point about trial lesson. Yes I had one (loved it). Also, done a bit of flying before - been solo on T.61 (about 12 hrs total T.61) plus approx 10 hrs in DHC-1. All a few years ago now though so obviously starting from scratch.

If I go to the US for PPL etc - would like to get some stuff prior to going etc.
Cheers
T-42

No. 2
18th Sep 2003, 17:13
tartan,

The logbooks you mention contain columns for multi-engine and instrument time, in addition to single-engine time, night time and an 'other column'. Therefore, they'll be suitable for all your PPL training and your CPL and IR training. My one, and I'm sure the others, also have a section for recording simulator time.

There are of course 'commercial log-book', but I'm not sure what they cover that the others don't. They certainly contain more pages as it's expected you'll do more flying commercially.

No. 2

P.S. If you decide to go to the US for your PPL, don't get too much before you go as it's much cheaper over there as you're probably aware, especially for high-cost items like head sets.