PDA

View Full Version : NVQ Validity

smartcol
17th Sep 2003, 20:59
I enrolled in the NVQ scheme some 4 years ago or similar, I paid my £465 registration fee and I managed to receive £8,000 back from my ATPL, which was fabulous. Now as I consider an FI rating or even a type rating, I wonder if anyone can tell me if I can still use this and get the 23% rebate, or has the Labour government put paid to that too.

Thanks.

silverknapper
17th Sep 2003, 21:06
Would love to be corrected but I think thats all been done away with, no doubt funding wasters who couldn't be bothered doing anything with their lives.

Bring back Maggie

flystudent
17th Sep 2003, 21:33
Done away with I'm afraid, I tried for my training also, Labour got shot of it, so they screwed me on that and IR35, i love 'em !!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: 's

distaff_beancounter
18th Sep 2003, 15:46
Sorry Smartcol, but Vocational Tax Relief (which was linked to NVQs) ceased on 31st August 2000.

IMHO those who pay for any form of further education, should be entitled to some form of tax relief.

Unfortunately the present government seems to consider any sort of flight training, to be only for the rich boys. So there would be no votes to be gained by giving tax relief, so there is not a cat-in-hells chance of any change in the near future. :(

smartcol
18th Sep 2003, 17:45
Thought as much, Robin Hood party strikes again.

Thanks guys

SFI145
19th Sep 2003, 18:26
Slightly off the point but why should VAT be payable for professional qualifications when I believe it is not payable on university fees?

distaff_beancounter
19th Sep 2003, 23:50
Fees charged for education by schools & universities, in the UK, are Exempt from VAT, providing that the school etc, is an "eligible body" within the meaning of the Education Act 1996 or theFurther & Higher Education Act 1992

Furthermore such schools etc, have to be non-profit making, such as, set up as an educational trust or a charity. Now many FTOs claim to make no profits, but they did not plan it that way!

There is an ongoing dicussion amongst VAT anoraks, about the difference in VAT treatment on vocational training, between UK legislation & EU legislation. In some EU countries vocational training, including that provided by commercial operators, does not bear VAT, whereas it carries 17.5% in the UK.

I will stop there before I bore everyone to death :8